Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

4 posters

Swim skin/suit inquiry

Wayne_tri62
    Wayne_tri62

Swim skin/suit inquiry Empty Swim skin/suit inquiry

Post by Wayne_tri62 Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:58 am

Do swim those swim-skins things such as Orca RS2's that are worn over a ironman or distance suit offer any buoyancy at all, or do they just make you 'slippery thru the water.

I mean if I was a 'JUST AVERAGE' swimmer (which I am 'definitely average') , would I be better to leave my top in transition and just do the swim in my tri shorts, (in this case 2km), then towel off in T1, chuck the top on and go... OR suit up with a swim thing over the top. This is my first long event and it will be non wetsuit swim . I can borrow a swim skin off a mate. My aim is to get to the end of the event in a decent shape for the party.

thanks
    Peta R

Swim skin/suit inquiry Empty Re: Swim skin/suit inquiry

Post by Peta R Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:13 am

Hi Wayne,

I've used a skin suit (Blue Seventy) in a non wet suit race and thought it a wise investment (especially as I'm an ordinary swimmer). They are very easy to get out of too.

If you can use your mates I would certainly use it. You have more to gain and nothing to loose really in a longer race.
    Martin T
    Martin T

Post by Martin T Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:49 am

Do these suits give you any bouyancy? drunken
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:54 am

Nothing like a wet suit but tthey are somewhat bouyant. They are designed to pass the Fina test for bouyancy. I don't recall the detail but it is something like they put a 300 gram weight on it and if it sinks to a certain depth slower than a certain time it fails.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm