Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

Focussing on one discipline

Brendan D

Focussing on one discipline

Post by Brendan D on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 am

Well after doing 1 sprint triathlon the bug has well and truly bitten. I am now trying to plan my training more as everything I have done so far has been very much hit and miss. I was partly inspired by Tyno’s thread but want to take it a bit further. I want to plan my basic week and my overall year a bit like what Alex talked about.

There are not a lot of really local races where I live so I won’t be racing much but I want to target the Shepparton Half-Ironman (14/11 based on this years date) this year and basically build my training around that. But I am also looking at Adelaide Marathon (15/Cool and Around the Bay in a Day (17/10) as secondary events.

The thing is I really don’t know where to start with planning for all of this. I know I need to build a good base now but I am not really sure if I should focus blocks on each sport individually or try to keep going on all. I have read some of Fluro’s posts talking about training like a runner for a while then maintaining that while training like a cyclist, etc, etc.

At the moment I am trying to do 3 sessions of each discipline a week but normally end up doing 6-7 sessions overall for the week. I am trying to work out if I am better off focussing on one discipline at a time until nearer to the event. My swim is the weasekst leg for sure so it makes an ideal candidate to focus on first (other than the $$ as the swim is the only leg that costs me money to train) so I was thinking of 4 swim sessions a week and at least 1 ride and 1 run.

Is that a good idea or am I better off going 3/2/2? Is 1 ride and 1 run enough to acheive anything, should I just do 5 swims and forget the others for now...although I enjoy riding and running more than swimming and I need to lose weight and running seems the best way for me to do that! Also what should I do in those swim sessions for maximum benefit (outside of squad as the timing of squads here doesn't fit for me), currently I can do a one-off 100 in about 1:52 ish and my training is swim 100 repeats off 2:30, normally taking about 2 min to complete the 100 then having 30 secs rest. Repeat for 40 minutes. Scientific I know!

Anyhow...I am really confused as to where to go from here and what to do. I have Freils training bible on order which will possibly confuse me even more but I thought I would put these questions out there. Sorry for rambling...

Todd C

Re: Focussing on one discipline

Post by Todd C on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:32 am

I think focussing on one sport to the exclusion of the others is not a great idea, especially if you are planning on focussing on swimming. The gains from improved swimming will be (more than) offset by losses in riding and running if you are planning on doing 4/1/1. I don't think 1 ride and 1 run a week are enough to hold current fitness so you will be going backwards and have to catch up later in the year.

I think consistency in all three sports is the key to improving you as a beginner triathlete.

Todd C

Post by Todd C on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:35 am

...and maybe if you want to focus on swimming, can you run to/from the pool? Can you add a 20min run to the end of your rides. Doing that could add an hour or two to your running each week and perhaps then you could get away with just one isolated run each week.
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:43 am

Your swim times there are fairly similar to mine - my swim is about surviving at the moment.
    I'd say 3-2-2 is better as well.
    If possible run/ride to or from the pool once a week (obviously location/time are factors)
    Try and stretch the sessions out as you go.
    If you hit 3x 40min sessions a couple of weeks in a row, try to make 2 x 40 and 1 x 50 and so on.

Your goals are all fairly distant too, I know I'd find it hard to keep focussed until August for the first event.
    Is there something (say a half mara or similar) around March/April you could aim at?

Joe S

Post by Joe S on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:05 am

I'm currently training 3 / 3 / 3 which 2 longerish swim sessions a week (1 shorter), and 1 session in each of the bike and run longer with the other 2 sessions shorter. Have been following a HIM program off of beginner triathlete and am seeing some gains (coming back after a year off and around 10kgs on), also aiming for Shep as my first HIM back. Each week has at least 1 rest day, with 2 days having double sessions. Have found that this works as if I can find the time for one session on a day, adding a short session after in another discipline isn't that hard.

Might be worth trying to follow a program from someone else rather than one you do yourself. Tried this myself and found following another program I can't make amendments to the sessions as easy, so have been sticking to the plan giving consistency and noticeable improvements in all 3 disciplines. You might also find having a bit of variety in the swim sessions an aid in wanting to do this more.

Brendan D

Post by Brendan D on Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:32 am

Don't take this as being smart, but If you are aiming for shep why are you following the plan of Beginner Triathlete? Isn't it only a 20 week plan?

I have had a look at it in the past and come middle of the year I will probably follow it (or something similar), but from all I have read a race specific plan this far out doesn't really make sense. I am hoping to get base fitness up before starting that plan.

Joe S

Post by Joe S on Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:05 am

Brendan D wrote:Don't take this as being smart, but If you are aiming for shep why are you following the plan of Beginner Triathlete? Isn't it only a 20 week plan?

Part of the longer term plan, I'm starting out from a lesser base this time so doing the 20 week plan as a base building session - no intention to race a HIM at the end of it (end date will coincide with birth of next child so good time to take a break). Will take a few weeks off then and do another smaller plan at higher intensity, aiming at speed more than endurance, then small break before doing one of the other plans as the final 16 or so weeks leading into Shep. All going well will then have a few weeks off after Shep before doing a 16 week IM plan leading into Port Mac or wherever the 2011 East coast IM will be.

All part of the longer term planning you referred to in the original post.

The current 20 week plan you refer to is for someone wanting to basically finish the race, and I've found it just the right level for where I am to get the base down without getting any injuries or niggles trying to go too long too quick, mainly time based sessions with all workouts at your perceived level of effort.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:40 pm