Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

Power Training on a trainer for Ironman

Clayton T

Power Training on a trainer for Ironman

Post by Clayton T on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:27 am

Hi All

Looking for some advice on Power training. I updated my trainer and got one with power and now have done all the tests, pretty sure I have worked out my FTP (think its around 242, not sure if thats crap or not) and now want to start getting the most out of my trainer sessions. I live in NQ, so it will be raining here for most of the next month so potentially i will be on the trainer alot.

My first question is, what should i be doing (most effective) for a 1hr to 1hr 30 min type session to improve my IM time?

Secondly, if i find myself having to do my long ride on the trainer, what would you recommend?

Appreciate any comments.
    Clayton
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Re: Power Training on a trainer for Ironman

Post by Alex R on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 am

The most important thging with power is not to worry what your FTP is in relation to others. It is what it is and you can make it better. For some crazy figures for you, on my cheap arse trainer, my FTP is about 100 watts less than on the road. Often things like motivation and heat are spoken of as reasons for these differenes but my heart rates disagree as I pushed both tests well into the mid 90% range. One was a state champs road TT and the other a supervised 20min x 2 session and extrapolated and done within 2 weeks of eachother. Doing some research, flywheel weight plays an enormous part. To push 2000+ watts on a 175mm crank takes something like 30kg of force. Now, to push that for 1 hour is pretty impossible let alone the 12 or so kilos requied for 400 watts. The difference comes in when there is no assistance in the non power parts of the stroke and the time to fatigue is less. 1 and 5 second power would be nearly idental but as the duration increases the gap becomes more. I am getting a compurainer very soon and will be interested to se the difference to my $60 wind trainer.

Oh as for the sessions, I don't know specifically but find that 2x 2 hour rides and a long ride are geneally enough when complemented with a long ride. A session I am starting here on a dead fat 13km loop is 4 laps, lap 1 200-240 watts, lap 2 240-260 watts, lap 3 260-280 watts lap 4 cool down. In reality the averages end up being on the upper end of these ranges when you do it for real. That is pretty much what you could do on the trainer as easy/mod/mod hard. I would not get a massive stify about hard stuff until a couple of months out then throw in some 30-60 second max efforts with similar rest and the like x20.
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:46 am

Quality information Very Happy
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:51 am

I would not get a massive stify

quality
    Alex R

Post by Alex R on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I did that sesion as described aboe and recomend t to anybody. It is pretty much, 3 laps building LSD, IM, Half IM then LSD pace. Then ran a 10km pace 4km off it. It is going to become a staple session from now on I think. Easy to replicate on the trainer if you so wish.
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:18 am

AR i roll on a computrainer.. did alot on it last year. end of last year got a new computer and never got around to setting it up again.

are you going to roll with erg videos? or undecided yet?
    Alex R

Post by Alex R on Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 am

Was gunna get as many real course vids as I can. I see you can get Port now. Mate of mine here has 2x compu trainers set up side by side in his training room for him and his Mrs to train together.
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:24 am

from my experience, trainers never copy the real world well as you know.. there is almost no value in doing a course video..

dont run out and spend the $$'s on allt he courses until you are confident you want to.. i set up one day and thought meh may as well ride Hawaii IM course.. holy shit that was boring did about 20mins and put a interval set back in..

IMO trainers are for intervals. not to replicate a course. you will get bored shitless..

send me money..

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm