Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

4 posters

Keeping warm - run gear.

Nathan C
    Nathan C

Keeping warm - run gear. Empty Keeping warm - run gear.

Post by Nathan C Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:43 am

So I have a new posting in Canberra, and having come from a tropical climate, i find running in the cold wearing a singlet and shorts not practical!
    "Just run later in the day" i hear you say, well I have to get my session done before roll call at 0600 so what are the essential bits of kit you need? any ideas on brands/shops etc would be greatly appreciated.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Keeping warm - run gear. Empty Re: Keeping warm - run gear.

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:48 am

Not that I run in Canberra temps, but if it's chilly, I find a pair of long compression tights good. I just have slazenger ones from Big W.
    Torso, I think have something loose over your singlet. A running vest/jacket that you can unzip/remove if/as you warm up.
    I find compression style tshirts and tops get me too toasty.
    I think successful layering when running means being easily able to remove all or part of a layer on the go.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Again, not Canberra cold but I was running to my 6am start in Brisbane winter where it is often below 7 or 8 degrees down towards 5. I found that a skull cap and gloves greatly regulated temperature. Much like skiing.
    MickyC
    MickyC

Post by MickyC Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:15 am

Did many years in Canberra and running in the mornings during winter, and it's rare that the wind has picked up yet so it's actually pretty nice - if not a tad crisp Shocked

On the coldest of days I used to get by with shorts, singlet (coolmax etc), long sleeve running top (coolmax etc).

For me light gloves were the key, if my hands were warm so was I. I'm 'follicley challenged' scratch but I get too hot running in a scull cap, a running cap was all I needed.

If it was windy or damp I’d use a vest and occasionally tights but that wasn’t very often.

Where in Canberra are you going to be living? There are some brilliant places to run, both on the paths and the trails.

The Runners Shop in Phillip is a great store for specific gear, otherwise Rebel would be the go.
    Nathan C
    Nathan C

Post by Nathan C Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:09 am

Living in Duntroon, but will have the bike and I hear you can get anywhere on a bike...

Looks like the runners shop could be the go, whats the story on black ice on the ground? there are not many trails around the college. so it will be all hard surface running....eep!
    MickyC
    MickyC

Post by MickyC Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:21 am

Black ice - can be a bit of an issue, but it will only be in the spots that are in the shade of some of the big hills in the morning, for example below Black Mountain.

Duntroon is in a great place, right near plenty of trails. Just cut across Fairbairn Ave and you're into Mount Ainslie which has 20km+ of trails. If you do some exploring you can pretty much run from one side of Canberra to the other and hardly set foot on roads/bike paths as most if not all of the burbs are linked together by reserves, parks and other 'green strips'.

I miss runnng in Canberra..
    Nathan C
    Nathan C

Post by Nathan C Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:25 am

thanks Micky, i will head over and check them out, laps of the college was becoming tedious!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:20 am