Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+2
Dave Tyno
Blair V
6 posters

Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies

Blair V
    Blair V

Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies Empty Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies

Post by Blair V Tue May 04, 2010 3:15 am

Ok, so Port Mac is 12 months away and I figure I should start thinking about specific training for it in November/December.

But...what should I be doing between now and then? Does it even matter?

I definitely don't want to be training too hard over winter and I don't want to be particularly goal focused. I would like to train because I want to rather then because I need to. I would like to do Noosa in October though.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies Empty Re: Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies

Post by Dave Tyno Tue May 04, 2010 5:02 am

Julie H
    Julie H

Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies Empty Re: Obviously I'm not going to get a sensible answer on Trannies

Post by Julie H Wed May 05, 2010 3:20 am

There are a number of things that you could do:
    Mountain bike ride if you have one
    Gym work to build up strenght
    Pilates - do a session every week and get exercies to work on at home
    Go to a physio and get a strenght/weakness test done, can't think of the proper name but they will find any weaknesses you have
    Do some stroke correction
    Do some ocean swims
    Go hiking
    Do road racing/crits
    Do a marathon

Hope this helps
    Julie
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Wed May 05, 2010 7:28 am

I vote go cycle racing. This will give you the opportunity to get a much better bike weapon in the arsenal which you can then modify your race day effort for the best run.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu May 06, 2010 7:09 am

I don't think cycle racing will make you a better IManner anymore than a good program (especially crits). Different power requirements and not particularly specific to a novice IM time trial. However if cycle racing will keep you interested go for it. Consistency is the key. Start by designing a standard week that you can reel off week after week after week. Most AGers only have some many hours available to train so the big changes are in what they are doing in that week from phase to phase.

Start by figuring out where you will make the most of your recovery and put that in. Then plan your key sessions around your recovery.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Thu May 06, 2010 10:33 am

Nah mate, he wants it over Winter. All the road races are on in Winter. I did a bunch of 120-160km races last year and they were gold. Totally agree crit racing is a waste of time for IM before you even identify the crash risk.
    goughy
    goughy

Post by goughy Sun May 09, 2010 2:13 pm

What are your worst at? Maybe a little extra focus on that. Cycling is mine. So now I try to do more of that than swimming and running. I know you're gonna say swimming though Wink

Do you train on your own or do you join groups? I've found joining groups has helped me, especially when I feel I've lost focus or need a break. Being around the others doesn't necessarily improve my focus etc, but gives me the social aspect of it I need and keeps me moving. And you've got a bit of time left before IMOZ.
    Blair V
    Blair V

Post by Blair V Mon May 10, 2010 11:38 am

Are you saying my swimming is crap? Wink

Actually, I would probably say cycling.

I do train with a squad and am going to just keep doing the sessions I feel like and not worry about things too much. This thread and the one on Trannies served their purpose in confirming that it really doesn't matter too much what I do. My main aim is just to stay mentally fresh for when IM training starts at the end of the year.
    goughy
    goughy

Post by goughy Mon May 10, 2010 1:09 pm

You've beat me out of the water, and I'm not a crap swimmer. Same for me - cycling cost me. Not just that it's not good enough on it's own, but that I'm not fresh enough also off of it. Definitely don't wanna burn yourself out on training with plenty of time before IMOZ. Enjoy your training and the company it provides, and maybe a little extra focus when cycling to try and bring that up to your running.

BTW, your doing IMOZ - I hate you Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content