Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

Challenge session 2: 20km TT 4th July 2010

Paul F
    Coach

Challenge session 2: 20km TT 4th July 2010

Post by Paul F on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:44 am

G'day guys,

It's coming up to that time again. I'll be doing my next 20km TT on the 4th July 2010. The goal is to do the TT over the exact same course and compare results between this test and the last 20km TT I did.

This is where you can try new things out based on the results of the first test and start comparing the results. More importantly it will be a great way to assess and evaluate your training between the two tests.

Once again you if post your results here, I'll do my best to give everyone some honest feedback which will be open for everyone to contribute and discuss.

Now would be a good time to lay down a goal time.

I did 29:40 in the last 20km TT and my goal this time is to go under 29 minutes.

Not sure how I'll go as I did the first test towards the end of a FT bike focus block and this next test will be right at the end of a stength focus block.

Goodluck everyone.

fluro
    Cameron G

Re: Challenge session 2: 20km TT 4th July 2010

Post by Cameron G on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:02 am

Today was the day i did my second 20 km TT test.

Hmmmm, not the most ideal preparation nor conditions as you will see.

How not to prepare for a TT test
    21 hour week of cycling, running and swimming
    Watching the TDF each night till finish
    and working 12 hour day shifts.

Garmin thingy

Time 32:57, previous 32:37 on 20/5/2010
    Avg HR 171, previous 175
    Avg Speed 36.42, previous 36.9
    Avg Cadence 99, previous 95
    Avg Power 283, previous 270.5 very big head wind, but a small tail wind due to layout of trees and course. Same bike fit and set up

Comparison using sporttracks plugin called Overlay

i didnt put the cadence graph onto it, but i consitently was 4 rpm over the entire distance, bar the 3 times i had to stop for kids coming across the path at just the wrong time.

My assessment
    I was tired, i mean really tired from lack of sleep, which i think can be seen from the lower HR
    The wind really stuffed me up
    Im def fitter than 6 weeks ago, but the fatigue is what did me i think.

Fire away.
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:48 am

three things from me..

1) improvement is awesome.. well done
    2) I think you start of to hard.. build into it, your hr spikes inthe first 2k's are bad
    3) need to re-test when not so tired sorry Sad

Smile
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:15 am

Matt C wrote:three things from me..

1) improvement is awesome.. well done
    2) I think you start of to hard.. build into it, your hr spikes inthe first 2k's are bad
    3) need to re-test when not so tired sorry Sad

Smile

+1

Plaz is going to make me eat my words here but this is one of the advantages of having a powermeter. The conditions weren't good for you resulting in a lower av sp (windy conditions) and a lower av hr (Fatigue from training), but an improvement of 13 watts is impressive!!!!!!!

It's still doing my head in from a phyisological point of view as to why we often see such improvements coming off the back of some heavy training loads. The amount of HIM PB's I read about 6 weeks out from an IM when training loads are at there highest, still makes me wonder.

From a cardiovascular point of view your heart said no (av hr 4bpm lower) but on a muscular level your body has excelled (av watts 13 higher). It just shows you how quickly our muscles can recovery, not so the heart perhaps??????? I'd be interested in what others feel about this.

Like Matt says I think your taking it out too hard. I would love to see you reverse those graphs in the first 2km, so you building up to your averages, not dropping down to them. It's got to be costing you time.

Looking at your HR profile, starting from the 2km onwards your execution looks much better. Your HR hovers around your av hr line better (ie red line) than the first test (blue line).

The 12-16km is your danger zone. This is the most common place for athletes to see everything drop (60-80% into a race), I think is is more mental than physical. It's like being in "no-mans land" in the test, just past the 1/2 way but not close enough to the finish line to hit the final push and fatigue is catching up rapidly. This is where most time can be gained or lost, and it's all mental. I do exactly the same and is a hidden weakness most of us have.

From the 16-19km you can see your "improved fitness" this is your muscular endurance showing through as a product f your training. You can see a nice steady rise in HR (red line) compare to the first test where your HR is dropping below your av (blue line). Your holding it together really well here. WELL DONE. If your look at your power profile the seperation between the two tests starts right back at the 10km mark, and your can see the red line is consistently above the blue line from 10km onwards. From 0-10km they overlap, but from 10-20km the red line is kicking ass. That also comfirms your improved fitness and in particular muscular endurance.

No kick at the end this time??? Fatigue???

So then I looking for your breaking point (decoupling) to see where your fitness is at. I can't see it on these graphs, can you send through just this test result on garmin connect???

In summary,

A big improvement, and I think you'll be even faster once you sort out a plan to execute the first 2km of this TT. For example cap your watts at 300 in that first 2-4km once you get up to speed. Then from 2km onwards settle in as normal.

You two great test now in different conditions. The more of these you do the easy it will become to structure your training. Keep it up.

Hope it helps

fluro

Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:20 am

when 'sprinting' out of the gate, you only need to 'sprint' up to the speed you wish to ride at... no higher...
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:28 am

Matt C wrote:when 'sprinting' out of the gate, you only need to 'sprint' up to the speed you wish to ride at... no higher...

Exactly,

My plan when this weather clears up is to av around 42kph. So out of the gate I'll get to 42kph as fast as possible, no more, because I know the world of hurt will be happening later on when I'm trying to hold 42kph.

If I look down at the start and see 44, 45, 46kph (which I did in my first test, stupid me) then that is only going to chew into my ability to hold 42, 41, 40 later on. Consequently, my final result in the first test was 40.8kph. But at the 12km I was averaging close to 42kph. Poor execution.

fluro
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:57 am

It's still doing my head in from a phyisological point of view as to why we often see such improvements coming off the back of some heavy training loads. The amount of HIM PB's I read about 6 weeks out from an IM when training loads are at there highest, still makes me wonder.

Firstly if you believe that people over 'taper' then you wont believe this..
    2nd I dont think this is an example of 'such improvements' this is only a 2% (aprox maths) improvement...

I do believe if Cameron was fresher and executed better, he would post a great improvement..

you have to taper, but i belive tapering is about getting to the start line as fresh as possible not rested.
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:16 pm

Matt C wrote:

Firstly if you believe that people over 'taper' then you wont believe this..
    2nd I dont think this is an example of 'such improvements' this is only a 2% (aprox maths) improvement...

I do believe if Cameron was fresher and executed better, he would post a great improvement..

you have to taper, but i belive tapering is about getting to the start line as fresh as possible not rested.

All good points,

I thought 13 watts over a 6 week period at FT would be a decent improvement, considering like you said, it would of probably been even more had Cameron been fresh. Maybe he did rest a day or two before the TT?

I also like your point on being fresh as opposed to rested. The way I read this is that we can freshen up quite quickly, ie in a matter of days, which is why we space our key sessions a few days apart and then can keep hititng those sessions hard, from a muscular point of view, which is not always the case from a cardio point of view. Often I have found myself sitting at FTpaces, with HIMHR's or less. Maybe, that is a good early indication of excessive overload, which then is followed up by muscular faitgued, ie aching legs, loss of power????

Maybe....Cameron with a couple more days to freshen up, might have produced a higher HR similar to before, but not necessarily, more power because his muscles were already recovered???

I've given guys who do IM training, just 1 day to recovery before OLY races while they are in their IM preps, and they nail the OLY's, the HR numbers suck, but their results are impressive. I can email you a guy who has done 4 x 42min FT tests for me over a 3 year period and after each test each year, his av hr was getting lower and lower (166bpm down to 158bpm), even though they were all at FTeffort, but his av speed kept increasing (38kph up to 42kph). He was never rested for these tests, just alot fitter, resulting more cardio fatigue. Now if I had of rested him as opposed to freshening him up, he would have kept producing his true FTHR of 166bpm, but I'm not sure what would of happened with his av sp, because I feel he was fresh enough from a muscular point of view to still nail the best to the best of his ability, even though his HR said otherwise. How many do you experience the "Man I was flying today, and my HR was so low"
    So this lends me to believe that Cameron is training with the appropriate overload. Because he is showing signs of cardio fatigue, but MOST importantly not muscular fatigue. If his power had of been less then, I would say he is doing TOO much, because he wouldn't have been able to freshen up in 1-2 days. Does that make sense?

If you were to say freshen up (1-2 days max) and do your test, if you prodcue a low av hr AND a lower result (ie speed/power) then you haven't been able to freshen up on a muscular level, BUT you should be able to within a couple of days. That tells me your training is unsustainable, it won't last, you'll eventually get sick or injured, faitgue is carrying over into key sessions, resulting in deep levels of fatigue, NOT GOOD, as this is where you ligaments, tendons and joints become effected negatively.

This is why to me it is so important to test yourself every 6-8 weeks across all three disciplines, the results won't lie, HR doesn't lie, speed doesn't lie and it will give you all the feedback you need in order to keep moving forward.

fluro
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Cameron is an excellent field example here.. someone who knows him better should ask him very kindly to 'freshen' up and re test early next week.. id pay 20 bucks if calling in favours doest work Laughing :LOL:

please re-test cameron we would love to discuss the results Smile
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:03 pm

Matt C wrote:Cameron is an excellent field example here.. someone who knows him better should ask him very kindly to 'freshen' up and re test early next week.. id pay 20 bucks if calling in favours doest work Laughing :LOL:

please re-test cameron we would love to discuss the results Smile

Do you two bitches train together Laughing

Only joking.

Seriously though, I love collecting in this sort of data, and would love to see Cameron adopt a taper like approach, very soon, to compare the results.

This is my theory and I would love your imput on this

Muscular Fatigue
    Clears out in a matter of days, the fitter you are the quicker the recovery time
    Improved muscle contraction (golgi principle), joint, tendon and ligament strength
    Less fit athletes more prone to DOMS ad need longer periods of time to recover

Cardio Fatigue
    Much harder to induce and requires, back to back days, weeks even months of training (elites).
    Is required to produce the best aerobic adaptations eg improve stroke volume, capillarisation. mitochondria development (oxygen carrying capacity), increased VO2max.
    Consequently, requires longer periods to fully recover from
    Takes weeks to rest, repair grow and adapt, maybe longer depending on the level of fatigue.

These two system are measurable
    Muscular system = speed/power/pace
    Cardio system = HR monitor

Consequently they produce results based on Fatigue and can be used to assess training overload, like Camerons results above.

Thoughts?

fluro
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:40 pm

how would you define the fatigue when it causes very deep sleeping and sleeping in Laughing
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:46 pm

these two sessions were 7 days apart, Have posted this before but it shows what fatigue (would you say muscular or cardio fatigue?)

average power output over these intervals were all between 380-395 watts excluding the sprint. was having a good day, felt very good.

was away doing some business stuff early this week so was off the bike and was tired from a 300k weekend,
    did a similar set along a slightly different profile with a climbing set at the end up 6%.

Average power for these intervals was much lower 320-340. I felt tired and totally unable to output anything similar to last week.. HR was unable to get up.. power was unable to get up.. totally flat...

Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:06 pm

HR was unable to get up..
    power was unable to get up

G'day Matt,

That is the sort of stuff I'm looking for

1. HR down
    2. Power down

I think the first sign of fatigue shows at a cardio level, eg unable to get HR up, morning resting HR that is higher than normal. If that goes unnoticed and nothing is done about it (ie improved recovery strategies) the fatigue will carry into the next key session. Because there is cardio fatigue the muscles are not being "fuelled" and consequently don't "repair and grow" as they should and this then results in "muscular fatigue" which is what has happened in your second session. They second session therefore loses its effect.

All that fatigue going into your second sessions, isn't just a result of training, it's influenced by stress, work, sleep, nutrition etc.

But, if you can feel the signs (low HR's, raised morning HR, Odd RPE's) early enough and do something about it, you can then adjust your training (eg move it back 24 hours for example) so that the second session isn't somewhat wasted.

This is why I don't lock and load a standard basic week of training, it moves aorund in terms of volume intensity and when I train according to day to day fatigue signals.

Think about those deep sleeps, and what you feel like when the alarm goes off in the morning? Are you in a really, really deep sleep when the alarm goes off or like on most days are you on the verge of waking up anyway? How often do you wake up just before your alarm goes off (that like the body showing its readiness to get up)?

My bet would be that even before you started that second session, you would have already known the outcome?
    eg was away doing some business stuff early this week so was off the bike and was tired
    You already knew but did you adjust to get the most out of the session? Serious question. When you that tired going into the session ,what could have you done to adjust the training stress? eg move it back one day or shorten the intervals, increase the intensity, force the workload = BG set, Steep hill repeats.

Thanks again for sharing this stuff, it's good for me to compare it to the data I have collected.

fluro
    Matt C

Post by Matt C on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:27 pm

this was back in march.. and now when i feel like this i do two things..
    1) dont bother with intervals.. might just do a medium ride on the road instead, do 2 hours @ a average of 120hr or so..
    2) sleep in, and do the session in the PM, i have a much higher success having the energy in the afternoon..
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:49 pm

Matt C wrote:this was back in march.. and now when i feel like this i do two things..
    1) dont bother with intervals.. might just do a medium ride on the road instead, do 2 hours @ a average of 120hr or so..
    2) sleep in, and do the session in the PM, i have a much higher success having the energy in the afternoon..

Perfect,

Not too many people are that willing to be flexible and adaptable.

What I tell my guys, is that if they start to consistently feel the need to adjust the plan, then the plan is at fault not the athlete. This is why it is important to plan in advance, train hard when you can, and back things off when LIFE gets in the ways of things.

fluro

Cameron G

Post by Cameron G on Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:53 pm

Guys

Thanks for taking the time to discuss my performance. I know its more about canvassing ideas rather than really assessing my performance but, its awesome to be in some way part of these discussions.

Active discussions will bring about great understanding of training for the MOPers like me and the rest of the mortals.

I knew going into the TT that i would show major signs of fatigue but since im a busy man, i had to fit it in somewhere this week.

Training diary for the week leading into TT
    1/7 Thur - 3 hour 90 km ride
    2-7 Fri - 1 hour swim
    3-7 Sat - 4 hour 100 km ride
    4-7 Sun - 3 hour 30 km run, 1 hour fluid trainer
    5-7 Mon - 2 hours with 22kg 5 yo daughter in trainer, school holiday tour of neighbourhood
    6-7 Tues - 12 hour day shift, 1.5 hours fluid trainer whilst watching TDF starting at midnight
    7-7 Wed - 12 hour day shift, 1 hour swim
    8-7 Thur - Midday 20mk TT with 2 km warm up. 12 hour Night shift
    9-7 Fri - Night Shift
    On top of all this was watching the TDF till the end each night
    Normally when the TDF isnt on i get 4.5 hours max sleep in any 24 hour period, be it during the day or night

No kick at the end this time??? Fatigue???
    I was pushing damn hard in the last 2 km but it was all into a head wind and fatigue had caught up to me by then.

So then I looking for your breaking point (decoupling) to see where your fitness is at. I can't see it on these graphs, can you send through just this test result on garmin connect???
    What do you need one the graph? I cam make any graph you want.

when 'sprinting' out of the gate, you only need to 'sprint' up to the speed you wish to ride at... no higher...
    Yes understood clearly. The rush of blood always gets the better of me.

Cameron is an excellent field example here.. someone who knows him better should ask him very kindly to 'freshen' up and re test early next week.. id pay 20 bucks if calling in favours doest work :LOL:

please re-test cameron we would love to discuss the results

I sure can do this for you guys, How about i do it on Tuesday. This weekend ive got a short run saturday, long run sunday, Sunday arvo swim , Monday 1.5 hours fluid trainer, monday night swim,

I suppose i could rest by not doing the 1.5 hours fluid trainer session and have an early night.

Watch this space for an update.

Cheers
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:43 pm

G'day Cameron,

1/7 Thur - 3 hour 90 km ride
    2-7 Fri - 1 hour swim
    3-7 Sat - 4 hour 100 km ride

Nice

4-7 Sun - 3 hour 30 km run, 1 hour fluid trainer
    5-7 Mon - 2 hours with 22kg 5 yo daughter in trainer, school holiday tour of neighbourhood

Is that a 3hr 30km run followed up with a 2hr run the next day???? 5hrs of running in 2 days?

6-7 Tues - 12 hour day shift, 1.5 hours fluid trainer whilst watching TDF starting at midnight
    7-7 Wed - 12 hour day shift, 1 hour swim

There's your 1-2 day of freshening up on a muscular level, assuming the fluid trainer was just an easy spin.

8-7 Thur - Midday 20mk TT with 2 km warm up. 12 hour Night shift
    9-7 Fri - Night Shift
    What do you do work wise? Is it a sit down job or a physical job?

On top of all this was watching the TDF till the end each night
    Normally when the TDF isnt on i get 4.5 hours max sleep in any 24 hour period, be it during the day or night

When I was living in working in Tokyo I had to be at work by 7:00-7:15am and I would do all of my weekday riding from 4:30-6:30 everyday from Monday to Friday. I would go to bed by about 10:30pm each night. I was good for about 6hr of sleep each night. That was my limit. If you check my logs of triathlog I rode around 19,000km last year.

4.5hrs is a real stretch, your pushing the envelope there. How many hours per night do you normally get in?

What do you need one the graph? I cam make any graph you want

Just the garmin connect link, then I can visually make comparisons.

I sure can do this for you guys, How about i do it on Tuesday. This weekend ive got a short run saturday, long run sunday, Sunday arvo swim , Monday 1.5 hours fluid trainer, monday night swim,

I suppose i could rest by not doing the 1.5 hours fluid trainer session and have an early night.

keep the fluid trainer, that is probably helping you as a recovery strategy. That long run would need to be dialed right back. Looking at your week above, your faitgue is primarily coming from the running, long work shifts and lack of sleep, nothing else. Change what you can.

I don't understand your run training???? why have you got it set up like that?

fluro

Cameron G

Post by Cameron G on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:37 am

Is that a 3hr 30km run followed up with a 2hr run the next day???? 5hrs of running in 2 days?
    ooops 3 hour run, then the next day 2 hour ride with kid in trailer.

There's your 1-2 day of freshening up on a muscular level, assuming the fluid trainer was just an easy spin.

It probably wasnt easy enough.

The spin session was based around what was being shown of TV in the TDF using 256 as my FTP (which i found out in the last 20 km TT test).
    Ad break = 60% ftp ~ 153
    Peleton = 75% ftp ~ 192
    Break away = 85% ftp ~ 217
    Crash = 4 x 30sec each leg.
    always aiming for cadence to be at 95-100

So I had an average pwr of 186 Watts and HR of 136 BPM.

What do you do work wise? Is it a sit down job or a physical job?

Im an Oil Refinery Operator which requires alot of walking and climbing stairs and ladders. Although i do alot of sitting down ~ 4-5 hours the rest is walking around checking things/people. Its not hard labour, opening and closing of valve, checking the operation of machinery, making sure the contractors are doing their jobs correctly, just alot of kms on the feet. Its common to walk over 10 km in a day.

4.5hrs is a real stretch, your pushing the envelope there. How many hours per night do you normally get in?

That 4-5 hours is my normal nightly sleep. The maximum I would every get might be 6 but thats a very rare case. Yes i know its crap but i just dont feel tired until about midnight. On the positive side though, ive been doing this for about 15 years, so im used to it mentally, but im sure its affecting me in my training and recovery.

Just the garmin connect link, then I can visually make comparisons.
    20/5/2010 20km TT

Im trying to move the sunday run to late tonight. Not ideal but I've got a marathon coming up and im trying to cram in some training Smile

As Ive said for a long time, I am bad at training but i am here to have fun and get participation medals, and maybe one day ill get a kona spot when i get very old. Yes I realise I'd be faster and fitter if I changed a few minor things. Hey and anyhow ive now given up Oporto until after Busso.

Cameron G

Post by Cameron G on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:39 am

I don't understand your run training???? why have you got it set up like that?

I have lost my mojo for running and trying to bluff my way through till the marathon by just doing long runs. Once again its MADNESS i know.
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:08 am

As Ive said for a long time, I am bad at training but i am here to have fun and get participation medals, and maybe one day ill get a kona spot when i get very old. Yes I realise I'd be faster and fitter if I changed a few minor things. Hey and anyhow ive now given up Oporto until after Busso.

G'day Cameron,

You're definitely not bad at training. If anything it's your strength, your out there putting in the hours. You just need structure

Unless your swimming is a big weakness, can it completely. 1-2 sessions PW isn't going to do anything for you. If it is a weekness then I would suggest you do sa swim block for 6-8 weeks and get it moving in terms of improvements, eg 3-4 swims PW.

Your bike program looks good, just a little too long on the long rides, save those for your speciifc preps. I notice on your logs your doing a few +4hr rides. I would be cutting those back to 3hrs max. But add in some intervals with higher intensities. Once again focus on something....... FTeffort, ME block, strength block, Hills, etc and stick to it for 6-8 weeks.

If your doing a marathon, when is it?
    Keep that long runs, divide it up into intervals, targeting goal paces....eg 10min on, 5min easy, repeat cycle.
    Basically just get out and run more, ditch the HR monitor, foot pod, whatever, you have and just run a different course each time, make it an adventure. Enter funs runs, join a running group, find a running partner and the mojo will return. Set a goal. I have an athlete who was always breaking down and gets injured around 60-70km PW, he came to me and wanted to cut back his running. I told him the opposite and he is about to complete his first ever 100km run week this week. I cut back his riding and swimming so he could run more and not get injured. 8 weeks ago I told him he would be running 100km this week, he didn't believe me. He so motivated now because of that goal. He loves running and it's turning into a strength. Not a bad place for him to be in and about to start hi IM specific preps, injury free too for the first time, so he tells me.

So if you set up some goals, build in some structure, you'll nail your training each week. With the right goals and plan the training becomes the easiest part.

Looking at your logs I notice a big week is generally followed by a really light week, you'll improve alot more if you cut some time off those big weeks and add that time onto your light weeks. eg 20hrs followed by 8hrs should be 14hrs followed by 14 hours followed by 14 hours etc. That may vary a little according to how you work.

Hope it helps

I'll look over the garmin connect file today

fluro

Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:42 am

G’day Cameron

Looking at your garmin connect your av sp for the first lap was 38.3kph. (36.9kph). Your slowest lap was lap 3 (36kph). That makes a difference of 2.3kph. That needs to be tightened up a lot more, especially on a lapped course.
    Here is the winning time at the last 20km as part of the ATTA series that is run over here in WA. The difference between this guys fastest and slowest lap was 7 sec. Like you his slowest lap was the third lap, which is to be expected. The difference between your fastest and slowest lap was 30seconds. So you can see where you execution is effecting your overall result.
    http://www.atta.asn.au/
    Have a look at some results and especially the top 5 and you’ll see how close each lap is. Then when you look further and further down the results you’ll notice how more and more people show poor execution. That is the gap between their fastest and slowest lap increases.
    If you look at your HR profile, there is not one instance where you are below your overall av hr within the first 10minutes of the TT. But then from 20-30min there is only two very short periods of time where you are above your av hr. This is an execution issue.

Your speed profile shows and slightly declining pattern from 0-25minute mark and then from 25-30min for quite horizontal, as in your holding it together nicely.

In summary, it’s just execution you need to focus on more than anything else. If you can hold back on that first lap, I believe you'll see much better results on the third and fourth laps. Try this next time, aim for 175bpm HR by the middle of the first lap, build up to it slowly so that you start seeing 175bpm after about 5minutes, but not before then. Make sure you don’t have your av sp visible on your computer. Focus on RPE and HR. Find a comfortable cadence and RPE that allows you to hold 175bpm (+/-2bpm) for the first 2 laps and then bang out a hard third lap. Pick HR up to just under 180bpm, grind it out and hold and then go ballistic on lap 4 and see what happens. Ignore all the numbers and just push as hard as you can for the last 8 or so minutes.

What would happen then is the result will see each lap in terms of av sp and time being almost identical. In terms, HR and RPE will will be comfortably hard (lap 1), hard (lap 2), hurting alot (lap 3), make it stop (lap 4), but you'll hold speed.

Hope it helps

fluro
    Cameron G

Post by Cameron G on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:18 pm

Okay thats what ill try on tuesday.
    Cameron G

Post by Cameron G on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:54 am

Today i retested on somewhat rested legs

Over the last few days ive taken it alot easier
    Friday nothing
    Saturday nothing, 4 hours sleep
    Sunday 2 hour run, then 2 hour ride, 4.5 hours sleep
    Monday 45 minute swim, 5 hours sleep

I felt pretty good during the test but totally spent just like every other time, but I still had the power in the 4th lap due to me taking it alot easier in the first 2.5 km. There was no wind this time. I was riding the same bike and setup as the last tests. Planet X Stealth Pro Carbon with Mavic Open Pro with Powertap SL+ wireless and Mavic Open Sport on the front. Normal helmet.

Garmin Thingy

All 3 20 km TTs on the same graph

Todays TT

Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 am

G'day Cameron,

Give yourself a pat on the back. Wow!. So in a matter of 6 days you have ridden 11.2 watts more and 1.3kph faster and you still rode with av hr 2bpm lower than the first test. Maybe still a little lingering fatigue?

You would have to have a grin from ear to ear after that result??????????

I good combination of being a little ore fresh and better execution. The difference between your fastest and slowest lap was 12 sec (8:03 - 7:51), but most impressive was the fact that your last lap was the fastest.

From 0-10min look at how low your HR is in relation to your av hr line, yet your av sp was 37.4kph and only 0.3kph below your total av sp of 37.7kph

From 10-25 min your riding really well holding a good even HR profile that produces two pretty evenly split laps (37.9kph) and 37.3kph

From 25 to the finish line you have 38.2kph but I'm not sure why but your power seems to have a declining profile, not sure why considering this was your fastest lap? Was the wind picking up at all in the last lap?

Your max HR is right where it should be and at the kick at the end well done.

In summary, this is a perfect execution and a massive improvement from your first two tests. You must be stoked!!

fluro
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:21 am

P.S look at how much faster you are from the 14km onwards, the green line is just moving further and further away from the blue and red line. That is where you making up all your time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:13 pm