Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+2
Alex R
Julie H
6 posters

Chrissie in Roth

Julie H
    Julie H

Chrissie in Roth Empty Chrissie in Roth

Post by Julie H Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:12 am

How amazing is Chrissie Wellington, she is in a class of her own at the moment. 8:19:13. As you can probably see I quite like Chrissie. What a run, 2:48:54, can anyone match her in Hawaii?
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Chrissie in Roth Empty Re: Chrissie in Roth

Post by Alex R Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:18 am

While the Roth bike is short by about 5km, the run is very close to exact. That time is amazing. Not many blokes who could run like that. Keep in mind, her run V the open world marathon record for women makes it even more amazing.
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:36 am

What is the women's marathon record? Is it about 2:24??
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:19 am

From iaaf.org

2:15:25 Paula Radcliffe GBR 17/12/1973 1 London 13/04/2003
    David B
    David B

Post by David B Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:33 pm

Chrissie is the first woman to push IM to match other sports. Women are typically 10% slower than men (at the elite level) across most sports, but have lagged behind in IM for a long time.

So in that regard I view Chrissie as realising the potential of her gender in the sport rather than being a freak of nature. Will have to wait till a few of the taller ITU girls move up to see any competition at that level though.

Really needs to lift the swim a bit more to get into the mens bike pack at Hawaii... Wink
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:13 pm

it's a scary thought

Really needs to lift the swim a bit more to get into the mens bike pack at Hawaii...

I still think she is improving. What is unfortunate for her is that she doesn't have a rival to keep raising the bar.

Look at other sports when they hit their peaks it generally occurs when you have two superior athletes.

Nadal v's Fedarer
    Ali v's Foreman
    Williams sisters
    Mark Allen v's Dave Scott

It sounds silly but if Chrissie can swim 2-3 min faster, ride another 5min quick and complete another sub 2:50 run, there would be strong chance of her getting into the top 10 overall.

Didn't PNF come inside the top 10 once.

Chrissie, will have a few more suprises up her sleeve before she retires. History in the making.

fluro
    Wayne_tri62
    Wayne_tri62

Post by Wayne_tri62 Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:22 am

Shocked Brett Sutton, (Chrissy's former coach's take on it) http://www.teamtbb.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=1057

Rebekah Keat (Aussie) finished 2nd, at 8hr:52min. Being 33 minutes down on Chrissy (close to 7%) meaning had it been a WTC race and the old rule still in place only First and second female get paid.

I still am amazed that Chrissy ran a 2:48, and then you look at her bike spit of 4:35 and I faint

Chrissie finished CLOSER to the 1st male than she did to the 2nd Female!!! That would be rare in itself...

Amazingly, great Aussie Pete Jacobs nearly got chicked by her AND she out split him by 5 mins on the run leg...

In regard to her wins over the IM distance, here is the devastating score

1st Ironman Korea
    1st Kona

1st Australia
    1st Germany
    1st Kona

1st Australia
    1st Roth
    1st Kona

1st Roth

she is fantastic
    Wayne_tri62
    Wayne_tri62

Post by Wayne_tri62 Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:24 am

Paul F wrote:it's a scary thought

Really needs to lift the swim a bit more to get into the mens bike pack at Hawaii...

I still think she is improving. What is unfortunate for her is that she doesn't have a rival to keep raising the bar.

Look at other sports when they hit their peaks it generally occurs when you have two superior athletes.

Nadal v's Fedarer
    Ali v's Foreman
    Williams sisters
    Mark Allen v's Dave Scott

It sounds silly but if Chrissie can swim 2-3 min faster, ride another 5min quick and complete another sub 2:50 run, there would be strong chance of her getting into the top 10 overall.

Didn't PNF come inside the top 10 once.

Chrissie, will have a few more suprises up her sleeve before she retires. History in the making.

fluro

Chrissy finished 7th overall at Roth
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:43 am

1st Australia
    1st Germany
    1st Kona

1st Australia
    1st Roth
    1st Kona

G'day Wayne,

Something else to think about.
    Have a look at her IM’s in 2008 and 2009. She did 3 x IM’s in both years. Now if you put on a 12 week IM specific program in front of those 3 x IM’s = 36 weeks of the year she is in IM specific training.
    Every since she has stepped onto the scene has she ever looked like being in anything other than top shape. She has always been ripped and ready to race. My guess her training overload would rarely change, it’s not season. She races has her short rest period and then she is onto her next IM specific prep. I can’t imagine she would have big peaks or dips in her training program and I think that is what makes her so mentally tough and why she is constantly improving.
    I think in some ways age group athletes complete misuse the whole principle of periodisation. Wellington seems to show that you never need to be that far off peak fitness and being able to handle your peak volumes ALL year round.

It comes back to the basic training week principle. Your ideal and most sustainable basic training week is one that you can continue to execute for 40weeks of the year. That is the week that will lead to long term consistent improvements.

fluro
    Wayne_tri62
    Wayne_tri62

Post by Wayne_tri62 Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:17 am

Laughing great context on her regime. It is not just fantastic ability but also smart and cleaver planning. Last year she did a 70.3 a few weeks (about 5 if I think right) prior to Kona. It was not a win, but in the training cycle leading up to the ‘big dance’ why should she. 2010 will be a great event.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:30 am

G'day Wayne,

Exactly, and how many people do you know that always seem to PB a HIM event 5-6 weeks out from their IM event, almost everyone.

Quite often IM training is too hard in terms of intensity leading to people meeting the demnads of a HIM much better in an IM prep, rather than meeting the demands of IM in an IM specific prep.

You see it all the time. Peole get good to cover 5-7hrs of training, but beyond that most people start slowing down.

Sutton brought up a good point that Chrissie and Rebecca Keat had the same run split from 5km to 21km, beyond that Chrissie held her pace, Keat just slowed down.

fluro
    Wayne_tri62
    Wayne_tri62

Post by Wayne_tri62 Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:12 am

Shocked Hi. just to add fuel to the fire, my wife found this thread with Chrissy's more detailed results since she commenced in 2006

http://www.chrissiewellington.org/results/

what stood out (besides the absurd amount of number 1's) is the consistency with times.. Even at 22nd place at an ITU event, the time is simply spectacular. Each year is very well balanced for peak performances. Just great Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:02 am