Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

Creativity

Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Creativity Empty Creativity

Post by Paul F Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:58 pm

I’m calling this post creativity until I can find a better name for it.
    How do we train? How do we improve? How much should we do? How often should we do it? And how hard should we be doing it?

These are the sorts of questions that run through my head everyday. In fact, each time I head out the door for a training session I’m often questioning whether or not I’ll be doing enough or too much. But the question is why should I know until I start the session? How can a preplanned training session possibly take into account, the hours of sleep I just had, the quality of sleep, my previous days nutrition, work stress, family commitments etc.

So if everything falls into place outside of training in terms of the above, but I have scheduled an easy 1hr spin on the bike, why should I stick with a 1hr easy spin on the bike, IF, I’m ready to rumble???

Likewise I wake up the day after doing my easy spin, missed opportunity to hit it, I’ve had a crappy night sleep, a hard day at work, ate poorly yet my pre-planned session requires me to belt out a solid 2hr bike ride climbing mountains at threshold. Mmmmmm, is this not sub optimal because we don’t listen to our bodies ad rely on our natural extincts to maximise our training. Rather we over rely on a pre planned training program, a HR monitor, a power meter, a GPS, etc to tell us this is what we should be doing?

Do we need plan? Yes, do we need a HR monitor, GPS, power meter, etc? Yes, just don’t let these things suppress your ability to excel day in day out. When the opportunity arrives, be creative, don’t hold back, go for it.

Did you think Rodger Bannister believed he would never break the 4 minute mile?
    We all have a 4minutes mile inside of us, you just need to believe it!!
    Dicuss
    Fluro

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 2:33 pm