Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+3
Rogerio A
Paul F
Tim K
7 posters

Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning

Tim K
    Tim K

Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning Empty Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning

Post by Tim K Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:04 am

Just wondering if anyone has experimented with manipulating caffeine intake to increase metabolism and fat burning rates?

I didn't set out intending to do the following, but thought last week that it might be interesting to try.

About three months ago I gave up drinking coffee on weekdays and just had a long macchiato or latte on weekends.

Two weeks ago I began drinking a strong flat white every day.

For this week (in the lead-up to Shep HIM) I've been having two strong flat whites each day.

What I've noticed during the past fortnight is a gradual drop in body weight and body fat percentage. Food wise, I haven't changed anything. Weather wise, the Melbourne heat may be playing a factor - so this could all mean nothing. Weight loss close to a race could have a negative effect but I guess we'll find out this weekend!

Anyone else tried it?
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning Empty Re: Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning

Post by Paul F Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:32 am

G'day Tim,

I could be wrong but I thought caffeine inhibits the metabolism of fat????? Shocked

fluro
    Tim K
    Tim K

Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning Empty Re: Caffeine Strategies for Metabolism/Fat Burning

Post by Tim K Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:01 am

You could very well be right fluro

My understanding was that caffeine increases metabolic rate and improved utilisation of fats as fuel. However, after a quick scan of a Google Scholar search there seems to be so much conflicting info - I have no idea!! Shocked
    Rogerio A
    Rogerio A

Post by Rogerio A Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:06 am

caffeine is believed to increase metabolism because of its stimulant properties. This increase in metabolism is said to be associated with fat burning but there's not a lot of evidence out there to say that is actually the case.

Even if it was true, I'd find it hard to believe that you'd see any noticeable results in such a short timeframe (2 weeks)? As you said your weight is probably more likely to be affected by the weather rather than the daily coffee shot.

Last edited by Rogerio A on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : bad spelling)
    Harris
    Harris

Post by Harris Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:28 am

Caffeine has also been claimed to aid recovery if taken in the standard 20 min after exercise. Can't remember the technical explaination given but I'm not arguing.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:22 am

Harris wrote:Caffeine has also been claimed to aid recovery if taken in the standard 20 min after exercise. Can't remember the technical explaination given but I'm not arguing.

So my standard coffee shop stop after every ride is now a proven post training recovery strategy?? Awesome, does it include berry muffins

fluro
    Matt Mac
    Matt Mac

Post by Matt Mac Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Tim K
    Tim K

Post by Tim K Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:49 pm

Thanks for the link Matt.

That AIS nutrition section looks like quite a handy resource.
    Amy B
    Amy B

Post by Amy B Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:35 am

Paul F wrote:
    Harris wrote:Caffeine has also been claimed to aid recovery if taken in the standard 20 min after exercise. Can't remember the technical explaination given but I'm not arguing.

So my standard coffee shop stop after every ride is now a proven post training recovery strategy?? Awesome, does it include berry muffins

fluro

From what I remember, caffeine post exercise is supposed to increase the uptake of glycogen into the muscles.. so, yes, as long as your coffee is with the berry muffin, you're all good Wink

The good old Can of Coke (post race drink for a lot of cyclists...) will do the job too.

Or expanding on the Chocolate Milk for recovery theory, a Coffee or Coffee flavoured milk could do the trick.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:35 am

To get the required amount though you have to drink fark loads of the stuff. There is also an issue with hydration after exercise and the possibility of kidney stones in extreme cases.
    Matt Mac
    Matt Mac

Post by Matt Mac Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:52 am

Not to mention teeth staining, death breath, insomnia, hypertension etc.

When I was doing my masters and working full time, not exercising and 10-15kg above my current weight I had BP of 160/90. Doc questioned me and worked out I was having 10+ caffeinated beverages daily, as late as 11pm to keep me awake to write papers. Stopped cold turkey and dropped to 120/80 within a month.

Having said that culturally it is rife in endurance sport. Before it was banned at the AIS, the Ex Phys boffin would bring powdered caffeine away and we'd mix it into coke bidons for passing out mid-late stage if someone was up the front. Crowie has straight Red Bull in his run belt flasks when he wins Kona. Coffee shops are full of cyclists drinking pre-during and post ride. I reckon it's a fairly strong placebo effect and the sugar hit in coke is doing as much as the caffeine.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:54 pm