Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+2
Julie H
Dave Tyno
6 posters

Things New IM competitors probably don't know

Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Things New IM competitors probably don't know Empty Things New IM competitors probably don't know

Post by Dave Tyno Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:17 pm

On one of my runs this week, I got to thinking.
    Mainly about clothing related issues and IM.
    After a 2.5 hour ride in bibs, I came home and changed into tri pants for a run.
    This made me wonder:

Can you nude up in the change tent?

I'm sure there must be other stuff people aren't sure of.
    Anything other new competitors are wondering about?
    Anything experienced people remember from their first foray into IM that they didn't know?
    Julie H
    Julie H

Things New IM competitors probably don't know Empty Re: Things New IM competitors probably don't know

Post by Julie H Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:11 am

You can nude up in the change room and they have helpers to help you with your wetsuit and sunscreen. Maybe a good idea to have a bit of a plan of what you might need help with in the tent.

Also in the swim if you are having trouble you can hang onto the surf boards for a bit of a break and not get DQ.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Things New IM competitors probably don't know Empty Re: Things New IM competitors probably don't know

Post by Glenn C Fri Nov 20, 2009 4:14 am

Before you try to pee on the bike make sure it can't go all over your bottles. Do it a few minutes before an aid station so you can wash yourself down with the water bottle and then get a new one.

I have had the miss fortune of watching a young lady stand up and go with it going all over her bottles behind the seat...then she had a drink Shocked
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:32 am

They'll have all sorts of goodies at aid stations on the run

choc chip cookies
    pretzels are common but so hard to eat and run
    vegemite sandwiches
    jelly beans

When things get congested on the bike just make sure your distance to the wheel in front of you is further than the guys distance from the wheel in front on him.

Lots of people will know you by name on the course. Your name is printed in the local newspaper the day before.

fluro
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:43 am

Another question - is Port likely to sell out before rego closes?
    My current plan is to decide on entry by Australia day.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:41 am

Port has never even gone close to selling out.

Mark my words, Busso will sell out before Port does.
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:51 am

I don't think it will sell out by Australia Day, it didn't last year
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:57 am

I was reading last years competitor booklet.
    Is it likely to be Gatorade as the sports drink again for 2010?
    How do people go on the ride if that's the case? I'd assume you'd go through any personal hydration well before the ride is done.
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:02 am

Have 3 drink bottle holders on your bike with your choice of drinks, ie endura, opti, powerade etc. Picked up water only at the aid stations and in your special needs add 2-3 bottles of what you drink. Freeze them the night before and then place them in your special needs bag and hand them in on race morning. You pick this up around lake Cateye at the end of the second lap at Port Mac.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:25 am

I would do the opposite Julie.

You have aid stations every 10km on the bike and carrying an extra 1.5- 2 litres (that’s a lot of extra weight and drag) on your bike is unnecessary. I race with just a profile bottle on the front between the aerobars and fill it up at every second station. I don’t have rear bottle holders or bottle holders on the down tubes. They just add weight and drag.

Just make sure you learn to digest, in training, what will be available on the course.

fluro
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:41 am

I have 2 bottles on the bike. IMO anymore is a waste. Why spend all that money on a fancy bike then hang shit off it everywhere? I tried a Profile, but don't like to waste time filling it and you can often wear alot of it. I also have a problem with rattles (they send me nuts) and those bottles always rattle Rolling Eyes

1st - With one hour of fuel. toos out when finished and replace with water at each aid station. Possibly a different flavour to bottle 2

2nd - With 2 hours of fuel. Sip from it and chase with water after finishing bottle 1.

after 90ish kay pick up 2 bottles in Special needs bag.

1st - 1hour of 4:1 Protein mix replace with water when empty. Make sure its a different flavour as you are probably ready for something different then.

2nd - 2 hours of fuel.

Thats 6 hours of fuel. I also take one gel per hour to get in around 86grams. Add a couple of spare gels for insurance.

Run -

I start the run with a 500ml concentrated fuel bottle on my hip because drinking from cups you wear more than you drink.
    Special Needs - is a small packet of Salt & Vinegar Pringles (I crave some something savoury by that stage) In Hawaii I caught up with a guy from Chicago and we were running together, I converted him to the value of pringles! Laughing I also carry my replacement 500ml concentrated fuel bottle.

Edit: With that plan you can completely avoid on course nutrition if you need to, the added benefit is knowing exactly how much you have taken in. Sometimes I take something diferent near the end of the bike. On the run I eat all sorts of stuff because thats where I feel most comfortable. Unlike many I find feeding on the run to be pretty easy. I love the jelly beans at Port Very Happy

You will find alot of variations here. BUT

1. KEEP IT SIMPLE. Too many have these overly complex nutrition plans.

2. The only correct answer is the one that doesn't bother you because the smallest things will annoy you out there.
    andrew b
    andrew b

Post by andrew b Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:07 pm

on the hydration theme i equate riding with 6 bottles on the bike as silly as running with a fuel belt on. keep your hips free and uncluttered

there are people volunteering their time to hold drinks and food for you.

get two small skinny fuelbelt bottles and squeeze 4 or 5 gels in each then top with boiling water. run with these in your hands and throw them to your supporters when they are empty. maybe pick up a full one from them if you dont consider it cheating.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:31 am

andrew b wrote:

get two small skinny fuelbelt bottles and squeeze 4 or 5 gels in each then top with boiling water

Why boiling water?
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:47 am

So they dissolve and you have one complete mixture.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:24 am