Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+8
Paul F
andrew b
Amy B
Glenn C
Rogerio A
Andrew Zed
Julie H
Dan B
12 posters

Cramps: why do they happen?

Dan B
    Dan B
    Super Awesome. 30X30 Run Champ.

Cramps: why do they happen? Empty Cramps: why do they happen?

Post by Dan B Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:14 am

I keep getting calf cramps at the end of swim squad. Was wondering what brought them on and how to treat them. Always happens at squad but never during Fluro's sessions that he gives me. I think it is time related as squad sessions are set at 6:30pm and I usually have completed either a run or ride at lunch or in the morning. I drink plenty of water especially after the lunch session. Any ideas?
    Julie H
    Julie H

Cramps: why do they happen? Empty Re: Cramps: why do they happen?

Post by Julie H Tue Nov 17, 2009 6:45 am

Lack of electrolytes so try something like endura, powerade, Gatorade. Also up your salt intake.

Might also be that your calfs are tired so I suggest some calf raises. Find a step at home and slowly increase the reps. Once you find that easy add some weights. If you don't have weights grab a backpack and put some heavy books in it and do the same. Let me know how you go. Also another idea is to flex at your ankles during the swim and this may help too
    Andrew Zed
    Andrew Zed

Post by Andrew Zed Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:03 am

ive been proned to getting a similar thing in longer swims, usualy in races only though, and that includes the most pathetic excuse for a kick in a swim ever (wetsuit swims only).
    However on sunday just gone, with a LOT less training, no similar issues at all, however I was forced to kick more thanks to the lovely bath water temperatues of the lake and no wetsuit, my quads did play up a little though.
    Rogerio A
    Rogerio A

Post by Rogerio A Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:10 am

take a bottle of endura electrolye with you to your next session and let us know how you go after that.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:03 am

Edit: In no particular order

1. Dehydration.
    or
    2. Fatigue due to high or long workload or poor pacing in IM situations for example.
    or
    3. Lack of electrolytes or an imbalance generally in hot situations.

Your job is to figure out which one applies to you. Lots claim to, but nobody has the one answer. Although most of them just stick their heads in the sand about examples that don't suit their theory.

Glenn
    Amy B
    Amy B

Post by Amy B Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:25 am

I cramp when I swim in the evening.. but never in the morning..
    I think for me it's a fatigue thing. I've tried the Endura, lots of water, eating plenty etc, but every time I swim in the evening I get to the 45minish mark and bang, either calves or feet cramp..
    Dan B
    Dan B

Post by Dan B Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks for the advice guys. I am exactly the same Amy down to the minute. I seem to be sore in the claves for ages after a bad cramp.

I had some stamina left over so I am drinking it at the moment. Had a run at lunch and squad tonight so I will see if it makes a difference. I will get some endura next week.
    andrew b
    andrew b

Post by andrew b Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:51 am

Amy B wrote:I cramp when I swim in the evening.. but never in the morning..
    I think for me it's a fatigue thing. I've tried the Endura, lots of water, eating plenty etc, but every time I swim in the evening I get to the 45minish mark and bang, either calves or feet cramp..

i wish someone could work it out, yep 45 mins or so into a swim set, particularly in the afternoon and the feet start going, then up the calves and sometimes in the adductors.

climbing out of the pool can be an ugly sight
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:57 am

I have read somewhere calf cramps in the pool has something to do with your calf muscle being in a constant shortened state because your toes are pointed. This then effects the muscles tendon reflex action (golgi reflex).

This then along with what everyone else has mentioned plays havoc on the calf muscle when we try to push of the wall.

It makes sense I guess as do we ever get cramps in our calves when we ride or run??

It would then make sense to do most interval work from the shallow end of the pool and just keep stretching those calves between sets.

fluro
    Dan B
    Dan B

Post by Dan B Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:01 am

Drank heaps of water, had Staminade, did stretching between sets and no cramps Very Happy

We did 10 sets of kick only and also did some vertical kick at the end so I was pretty pleased.
    Matt Mac
    Matt Mac

Post by Matt Mac Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:39 am

Nice.

It is very common for arvo swimmers to cramp, I have by necessity, had to do some sessions where I do 1-1.20 run straight into Coach@'s squad at 0600 and will always cramp at some stage during the session. If I've ridden then swim that night, cramp.

i think it is a combination of inadequate recovery after the morning session and Paul's point of increased propensity to cramp in a shortened position.

If the usual stuff Dan has tried doesn't wok, try calcium (helps unblock muscle contractions at protein level) or ultimately, swim in the morning.
    Cam W
    Cam W

Post by Cam W Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:06 pm

I noticed when I paid attention to ankle flexibility and stretched/self massaged/rollered my calves the incidence of foot and calf cramp towards the end of a long swim session decreased significantly.

There is this self massage aid called "The Stick" that I had seen a couple of North American athletes using after IMNZ who swore by them ....I picked up one from runners world when I was in the states. It is excellent for quads and calves....
    Dan B
    Dan B

Post by Dan B Mon Nov 30, 2009 6:31 am

Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:44 am

I did a morning swim session today. I ended up doing about 2km with fins on. Didn't even begin to feel like I would cramp.

My regular night time squad, I usually cramp by the time I've done less than 1km with fins.

I'm swimming my regular squad tomorrow night, so I'll be interested to see how it goes.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:22 am

G'day Dave,

I would pack those fins away. You're not teaching yourself the most important skill to learn in swimming when you have the fins on.........balance.

Fins will engaged your lower limbs to give you balance and propulsion in the water. Ideally you want to be teaching your torso to improve your balance and then you upper body to improve your propulsion.

Think triathlete not swimmer.

fluro
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:45 am

Hey Paul
    I did squad with AP for the first time today.
    He got me to use the fins to get me breathing bilateraly and balance out my stroke a bit.
    There's quite a bit of work that needs to be done with my swimming Smile
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:27 am

Okay I guess he has a progression in place for you.

I'm not really convinced that fins will help you to rotate onto your non breathing side. Fins have a habit of keep you flat in the water.

fluro
    Christian F

Post by Christian F Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 am

Hey as usual Paul has it pretty much nailed, the majority of calf cramping that takes place during and post swim comes from the shortened (contracted) gastroc when you point your toes...imagine how your bicep would react if you held a bicep curl for the duration of an IM swim (not happy Jan)...i would suggest you try and relax the flexion of your foot, and think about floppy ankles...and in regard to the Fins be careful that you do not become a slave to the toys...A Zed does love his pull bouy...

hope this helps

cheers
    Christian
    Christian F

Post by Christian F Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:35 am

Oh and fins generally will make you into a barge not a yacht, lots of side kick (sans fins) with proper alignment with a lead arm, then no lead arm, then progressing into rotation is usually the best bet...
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:57 am

Hi Cam

You mention the use of "The Stick". I have seen these and they look great. Can you get that here over the web. Would you know where to get it

Thanks
    Julie
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:38 am

Julie
    One of the guys on Cool Running sells them in Australia.
    http://seemerun.com.au/index.php?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 pm