Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+6
Allan P
Julie H
andrew b
SamuelEB
Paul F
Alex R
10 posters

A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout.

Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout. Empty A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout.

Post by Alex R Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:46 am

While I have documented much of my last few years in the sport via various web mediums, I thought I would just give a little recap and a 'where I am now' type post for people new to the site or sport who may benefit or perhaps learn from where others may have trodden. Feel free to add you own tales of woe or triumph.

Wave 1

Having played around with triathlon for a number of years mostly socially, I decided I was going to do a Half Ironman then a Marathon. I farted around doing my own thing based on pretty much nothing. I decided that as far as training went, for the half IM I needed to complete the distance of the race twice a week. My weekly plan was 6 sessions. 2x 1.9km swims, 2x90km bikes, 2x21km runs. In reality after actually measuring these, the swim was right, the bike was 81km and the run 17. Oh well. Needless to say the race was a tad slow but totally enjoyable. I paid no attention to nutrition or anything other than swim bike run as per my plan.

The Marathon came along a month and a bit later. After my 2:20+ half IM run leg I decided I needed more distance. I lengthened my 21km (17) to 24km and did it 3 times a week. Seems the 24 was only 19. Again, oh well. In the lead up to the race, I was starting to come down with a bit of something but did it anyway. What an absolutely stupid mistake. I ran the Marathon in 4:30 something with day 2 of the flu. It really knocked me on my arse. I was sick for months. I could not do a thing. Added to this the snot factory also turned infected and I got sinusitis which like herpes follows you forever Mad . Bad news. 20+ kilos later I was finally getting well enough to do something again. I still remember stopping my bike to call my wife to tell her I just rode 20km for the first time in nearly a year. I was back.

Wave 2

This time I decided I was going to get some direction on what to do so as not to make the mistakes of last time. I found myself a coach and off I went. To make it interesting, I entered an Ironman (my frst) as my comeback race. Problem was I had all of 8 weeks from the couch before race day. Hah. Long story short, 13:51 later I was an Ironman. The fella coaching me is a man who is not one to tell you what to do. He will make commment for your digestion but lets you make your own mistakes if you are not prepared to listen to the message. When he said to me that I should have come to him a couple of months earlier as it was going to be a very lonng day for me I should have listened. This time, I got away with it. No sickness, no injury.

I was hooked. For the next 12 months I was on the program. I did every session bar 1 in that time and I pulled the pin on that one due safety reasons as it was shitting down rain and I had to ride up a big arse mountain. As an aside, 'coach' did the session the next day and crashed on the descent taking him out of the race we were both targeting. Nutrition, scheduling, focus, attitude, ego, humility, understanding and discipline were all there. If I could have bottled my mental and physical state from that year and sold it I would be a Trillionaire. The result came.

I did the Ironman 12 months from the first with a great result. I lopped off 4 hours and finished in the 9:40s. Every leg result was consistent across my age group compared to my finish time. I was the business. I got a bike sponsor, nutrition sponsor, got a 5 page spread in one tri mag, a column in another and made the semi final in the Ironman performance of the year on Ironman Live. What the hell? All this in 12 months. I must be awesome? Right? Hmmm?

Easy to believe that.

Hard to deliver IF you believe there is something that needs delivering.

The next 4 months my one and only goal was to qualify for Kona. I trained my arse off. Infact, I trained my arse out. What woorked before was not enough, I had to do more. I had to do it faster. I had to do it longer. 4 months is not a real long time and suddenlly, I was lining up again for Ironman. Off went the cannon and all I could think about that entire swim leg was how much I enjoy cycling. I mapped out my entire future that next 50+ minutes. I would qualify that day for Kona, just go and race for the experience then cross over to cycling as I really did not enjoy swimming. It wasn't the swimmming I did not enjoy, it was the underlying pressure I was putting on myself thinking that others cared what I did. If you had asked me at the time, I would have said I did not care what anyone else thought that day but in reality on reflection, I did. I was the fella who was going to Kona FFS.......

Or not.

Long story short, I cooked the bike way too hard the first 120km and that was that. My guts gave out and it was a long way from home. I finished around 1 hour out of the Hawaii slots after a fairly humiliating walk around the streets of Port Mac. This was not to be the end of this little saga though.

On my way to Port Mac that year I managed to qualify for the Australian Long Course team via the Half Ironman circuit for a race in The Netherlands. Well, seeing I did not qualify at Port,, the Long Course was to be my retribution. I had to do more. I had to do it faster. I had to do it longer. Due to a roster change at work I had severed my coaching relationship and was going it alonne from around a month before Port. Almere was to be in August. remembber when i said 4 months was not long? Well 5 months is and add that to the preceeding 4 and that was 9 months of extreme training that was poorly suppported by nutrition and attitude. SNAP. I was absolutely broken.

As a basketball player for many years, I suffered tendonitis from time to time in my right knee but got over it pretty quickly. I got myself a dose and it was terrible. I reckon I was one run away from a rupture as I trained through. As I was ovver doing it, I was pumping in the vitamins and supplements which I was getting for free. As a result,, I ended up poisoning myself and stuffing my liver. I had 20 days off wwork in early August with sickness less than a month before race day. I still raced. Good night nurse.

Being as crook as I was, I knew I had to keep doing some activity so focused on cycling for the year. Things went well there and my health was generally OK but it was not what I would call improving. I was constantly lethargic and 7pm bed time was an all too regular requirement when coupled with my shift work.

Since September, I have had a few false starts with triathlon again. I know what I need to do to make it work and am taking it nice and slowly. I don't want to revisit that world of hurt I have put myself in before.

Wave 3

Started today.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout. Empty Re: A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout.

Post by Paul F Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:41 am

Great story there Alex,

Looking forward to seeing how wave 3 unfolds.

It's been inspiring following your progress over the years and I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future.

Keep it up

fluro cheers cheers cheers cheers
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout. Empty Re: A tale of Blubber, Brilliance and Burnout.

Post by SamuelEB Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:42 am

Wow.

Sometimes its easy to throw mud without thinking. That is an amazing progression. Good luck with WAVE 3, with your intelligence and insight you will go well.

Go get em Alex.

Samuel.
    andrew b
    andrew b

Post by andrew b Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:37 pm

plenty of parallels in there that i can relate too. gee its hard to stop and step back when you are ticking off the goals but something always gives way it seems. especially when you make the mistake of thinking people actually care what your doing.

good stuff there
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:36 am

Great story. I remember your first one Alex, I was there to doing my first. It is funny the different paths people take. Might share mine one day
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:26 am

Julie H wrote:Great story. I remember your first one Alex, I was there to doing my first.

And you smashed me like a cheap plate affraid
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:30 am

I don't think I would now. God how time flys, seems like yesterday and looking back on it, it is amazing how much you learn and you don't even realise it.
    Allan P
    Allan P

Post by Allan P Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:11 am

The old saying springs to mind "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it"

I look forward to seeing you on that beach in Kona waiting for the starters gun Very Happy
    Dave B

Post by Dave B Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:21 am

Alex
    was a great read.
    glad to see that your Epic day at Busso is not the last page in the Chronicles of Plaz...
    Andrew K
    Andrew K

Post by Andrew K Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:19 am

Alex R wrote: Feel free to add you own tales of woe or triumph.

I dont know if you'd call mine a tale of triumph but in the spirit of showing what can be done here's a brief history of my involvement in Tris.

On the 1st January 2007 I quit smoking after 27 years of a packet a day Embarassed . I was also overweight and drank too much and partied too hard Twisted Evil . So at the ripe old age of 43 I decided it was about time I started to treat my body a lot better. Through 2007 I started doing a little running and finished my first Half Marathon in July in a little over 2 hours. My legs were destroyed but after a few weeks I decided on another challenge, Noosa OD in November. Did some training on my own and got myself into some sort of shape and managed a 2:46 which I was pretty happy with all things considered. Then I made the fatal mistake of checking out some forums and stumbled across AP and the Cycos lol.

I guess you'd call this my wave 2. Started training with them exactly 2 years ago with the goal of completing an IM a year later at Busso. So I trained through 2008, did Gundy in 5:10, Mooloolaba OD in 2:31, ran my first marathon at the Goldie in July in 3:49 ( v. happy with that ), Yeppoon HIM in 5:11 then Goldie HIM in 5:06 then onto Busso for my 1st IM. Done and dusted in 11:09 cheers Was pretty happy knowing I'd gone from a pack a day smoker all my adult life 2 years ago to now being an Ironman in a pretty good time at that.

Now into 2009 did Gundy again in 4:52, Port IM in 11:46 ( injured and with v little running leading into it ), Goldie HM in 1:46 then Goldie HIM in 5:03 ( damn I'm getting close to sub 5 Laughing ). Onto Busso for IM number 3 and looking to go around 10:30. Well I didn't finish, pulled out during the marathon but I learnt a few things so now it's onto Gundy again where I expect to get down close to 4:40 this time.

I've put in all the times just for those who might be interested to see my progression and as proof that it's possible to turn things around over time. I'm now a lot leaner than I have been for decades Laughing and feel confident that over the next few years I can go a lot faster. Bring on 50 I say Smile
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:01 pm

See you in Gundi Very Happy
    Jason C
    Jason C

Post by Jason C Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 am

Well my story goes like this.

A refereeing mate rings me up to go in the last raby bay race of Dec 2004 & I thought as I was running on a treadmill & use to swim 5 times a week that it would be a cinch. How wrong could I be, I struggled in the 200m swim, came out last, & rode the 8k on a second hand mountain bike & walked some of the 2.5k run. Geez that was a tough race, but I was hooked!!

2005-06: Never liked distance running as a kid, played rugby league so was more of a sprinter, so in 2005 did my first ever Noosa half marathon in 1.49 off a longest run of 80mins. Was a little surprised at how "easy" running was to me. So kept up with the running training & a little bit of cycling & swimming during 05 & completed my first Olympic tri at Mooloolaba in 06 in 2.49 which I was stoked with..on a old purple repco bike. I was now hooked with this tri caper & running especially. Decided about 12 weeks out that I would train for the Gold Coast marathon & did 3.46 which was the toughest thing I have ever done in my life!! Also did my first Noosa tri in 06 & loved the race & atmosphere & have now done the last 4 of these.

2007-09: Got my marathon PB down to 3.25 in 07, completed my first IM in 08, & my half down to 90mins in 09, but all the training & lack of a break took its toll in late 08 when I was diagnosed with having hyperthyroidism which basically means that I need to take medication to keep my metabolism & energy levels up.

Still learning how to run off the bike in a HIM & IM, but herein lies the challenge. I love a challenge, so that is what keeps me turning up to training & interested in this sport. Is is hard!!

So thats where I am at the moment. Lets see how far the journey takes me.

Clarkey

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:49 am