Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

5 posters

Embracing Rest

Amy B
    Amy B

Embracing Rest Empty Embracing Rest

Post by Amy B Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:12 am

5.5 weeks ago I got a swollen lymph node under my ear on my neck.. Thinking nothing too much of it as I didn’t appear to have any symptoms of anything, I pushed on and did the Womens 3 day tour, followed up a few days later with another massive training day + crit race, then the next morning I tried to swim and was going backwards. Got out, went home, and took the next couple of days off training. That Sunday I thought I was ok, so went and did another crit, and after the race my HR wouldn’t drop below 130.. Lump was still there, and I started to realise something not great was up so went to the Doc’s – ‘Probably an infection, here’s some penicillin, come back in a week if it’s still there’.. Took that whole week off training, and stopped drinking my 2 cans of coke per day, and realised I was REALLY tired. Slept at least 10-12 hours per night all week..

Long story short, after going back to the doc’s for a couple of blood tests, turns out I have a mild case of Glandular Fever.. But after the initial 7 days of heaps of sleep, resting HR was back to normal and I felt fine again! Lump appears to be gone too..

Now normally you hear of people having glandular and being knocked on their butt for several months, can’t work/train/all they do is sleep.. Is there anyone out there that’s had just a mild case of it?

My strategy has been if I wake up and I think I’m tired, check resting HR, or just go back to sleep. I don’t feel guilty for taking a whole day off of training, or sleeping in and missing some of swimming (Helps that my swim coach is being awesome and not minding me rocking up ½ an hour late).. I’m still doing some bike racing. Team bike rider @ Shep on the weekend, which did leave me tired on Monday, so I just left work early and went home for a nap..

So my advice, and the lesson I have had to learn for myself – Embrace the Rest day! I know it’s the advice everyone gives, but don’t go and learn the hard way…
    Campbell M
    Campbell M
    Coach

Embracing Rest Empty Re: Embracing Rest

Post by Campbell M Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 am

"You can't over train...only under recover." (don't know who originally said that!)

Hope you're getting back on track.
    Mick B
    Mick B

Post by Mick B Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:06 pm

Is Amy B still about???
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:44 pm

Cycling full time these days I believe. Certainly a sport for burnt out triathletes for a year or two to get the spark back. Becomes a bit same same in the end though.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Just biking this year myself. But as I can't hold my attention at much for long its mountain biking with just a tinee bit of road stuff.

Didn't want to do running because I didn't want to lose too much weight. Laughing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 3:35 am