Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

5 posters

When to step up to the longer distance?

Cameron G
    Cameron G

When to step up to the longer distance? Empty When to step up to the longer distance?

Post by Cameron G Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:23 pm

Let me preface this by trying to tell you where I am coming from.

When I started running I said to myself that before i would attempt a 10 km run Id first get my 5 km time to under 25 minutes, then before doing the HM I'd do a sub 45min for the 10 km.

At what times do you think its advisable to move up to the next level of Triathlon for a new comer to the sport with little background in other disciplines.

Setting small goals along the way to where your ultimately trying to gte to can be pretty rewarding and this has helped me stay pretty much injury free and motivated since starting out in exercise since mid 2007.

This is what i would think is a good spread for times

Sprint sub 1:20
    to
    OD sub 2:30
    to
    HIM sub 5:45
    to
    IM

disclaimer: i didnt follow this schedule for triathlons. my first tri was Nepean and second was HIM.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

When to step up to the longer distance? Empty Re: When to step up to the longer distance?

Post by Alex R Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:20 pm

When ever you want. Decide on the outcome you want, be aware of the training it may require, commit the time and away you go. If you can't fill any of those criteria, there is no real reason to do so. While Ironman is reallly just a long 'easy' day, you can still hurt yourself if not properly prepared for the way you execute your day.
    Matt C
    Matt C

When to step up to the longer distance? Empty Re: When to step up to the longer distance?

Post by Matt C Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:53 am

i listened to the powerfit pod cast which is 'Coach Jeff Smith' doing Busso IM underprepared with his wife.. IM can epic even if done slowly.. i thought it would be boring to listen but it was actualy some what entertaining.. i almost suggest listening to it.

stepping up is not about how fast you can go.. its about how fast you want to go in the longer race and if your able to put in the time and work to achieve that.

70 year old grannies and criples do the race (no disrespect) so can you.. its what you want out of it that you have to decide.
    Mick B
    Mick B

Post by Mick B Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:41 am

I think times are irrelevant. Age, sex, body shape and size make a massive difference. The Queen could finish an IM if she wanted to and did the training.

Next bloke to get a run injury just before an IM should take on the "breaststroke/BMX/powerwalk challenge" and see what time they can get over the line in.
    Gillian A
    Gillian A

Post by Gillian A Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:44 am

Cam
    I stepped up when I was confident that I had sufficient base at the shorter distance to tackle the next one without training/racing injuries. For me, time has little to do with being ready, being a slow old woman at whatever distance. So I went a season doing sub-sprint with one sprint, a season doing sprint with a Nepean, a season doing sprint/olympic. Then I injured my knee (trauma, not training) and took 2 seasons with virtually no running and a stretch target 3/4 IM swim/bike with a runner. Then I came back with sprint/oly/first long course. This year the distance mix will be the same, and I'm still working out which HIM I should do before I wear out completely and grind to a halt.
    Cameron G
    Cameron G

Post by Cameron G Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:56 pm

Gillian wrote:Cam
    I stepped up when I was confident that I had sufficient base at the shorter distance to tackle the next one without training/racing injuries. For me, time has little to do with being ready, being a slow old woman at whatever distance. So I went a season doing sub-sprint with one sprint, a season doing sprint with a Nepean, a season doing sprint/olympic. Then I injured my knee (trauma, not training) and took 2 seasons with virtually no running and a stretch target 3/4 IM swim/bike with a runner. Then I came back with sprint/oly/first long course. This year the distance mix will be the same, and I'm still working out which HIM I should do before I wear out completely and grind to a halt.

Gillian with your great attitude to racing and training you will never wear out.

I should have said a little more about age in the original post, but yes i agree that it should be when you feel confident that the training you will have to do to complete the event wont break you, then thats the time to step up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content