Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+8
Mick B
Phill K
Shane M
Alex R
Dave B
Paul F
Steno
Dave Tyno
12 posters

Trying to plan a basic training week

Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Trying to plan a basic training week Empty Trying to plan a basic training week

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:13 am

I've been thinking about what I want to achieve in the next year or so and consequently about what sessions I think I should be doing.
    Nutted out a basic week:
    Mon AM - Ride 90 min Easy
    Mon PM - Run 60 min Easy

Tues AM - Swim session 80 min (Cycos) Run 30 min

Wed AM - Ride Mod 90 min Run 30 min
    Wed PM Swim 60 min (Red Dog)

Thurs AM - Long Run (initially 90 min)
    Thurs PM - Core/Stretching 30 min

Fri AM - Ride - Coottha

Sat AM - Stretch/Swim - 30/60 min Cycos
    Sat PM - Run 45 min easy

Sun AM - Long Ride - (initially approx 180 min)

It's around 16 hours initially.
    My best week this year was just under 15.
    Most of it will be easy effort stuff, as I don't have much of a base.

I don't see me hitting this every week, but I'd be looking at 5 out of 6 weeks I think.
    I'd be interested to read thoughts/criticisms from anyone.

Dave
    Steno
    Steno

Trying to plan a basic training week Empty Re: Trying to plan a basic training week

Post by Steno Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:39 am

My first thought is, do you believe you are willing to do 16hours (not physically)each week?

I would it approach it from more of a minimum approach (or key session) and then add in sessions around it; if that makes sense.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Trying to plan a basic training week Empty Re: Trying to plan a basic training week

Post by Paul F Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:13 pm

I agree with Steno,

Cut it back to a week that will be highly achievable, therefore, repeatable, consistent, leading to long term improvements.

Your basic week shouldn't stretch you and put strain on other areas of your life. It should be setup so that you can confidently say I could pull this off for 40 weeks of the year.

Start with just 3 sessions in each discipline and aim for about 12hrs max. Post that and we'll have a look at the structure in more detail.

From what I have learn't about you over the past few months, the week you have outlined above would be better placed when you start hitting your specific preps. e.g. 7-9 weeks out from your 'A' race.

Hope it helps
    Fluro
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:23 pm

Steno wrote:My first thought is, do you believe you are willing to do 16hours (not physically)each week?

I'm making it a goal to do it.
    I'm going to be more more committed next year to training and eating.

I'm thinking do this basic week, or close to it, for 12 weeks or so, then take another look at getting a coach to draw me up a plan to take me through Yeppoon, GCHIM, Noosa and IM OZ 2011.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:44 pm

Paul F wrote:

Start with just 3 sessions in each discipline and aim for about 12hrs max. Post that and we'll have a look at the structure in more detail.

Toss Monday Ride, Tuesday run and Sat arvo run.

I'm trying to not plan for 2009 lazy, fat Dave, but 2010 motivated Dave.

(Example of what I want to do regularly is like my Week 23 Nov 09 in Triathlog, except long run and ride are split and done right Smile )

Last edited by Dave Tyno on Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add Example week)
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:56 pm

Dave Tyno wrote:I've been thinking about what I want to achieve in the next year or so and consequently about what sessions I think I should be doing.
    Nutted out a basic week:
    Mon AM - Ride 90 min Easy
    Mon PM - Run 60 min Easy

Tues AM - Swim session 80 min (Cycos) Run 30 min

Thurs AM - Long Run (initially 90 min)

Fri AM - Ride - Coottha

Sat PM - Run 45 min easy

It's around 16 hours initially.
    My best week this year was just under 15.
    Most of it will be easy effort stuff, as I don't have much of a base.

I don't see me hitting this every week, but I'd be looking at 5 out of 6 weeks I think.
    I'd be interested to read thoughts/criticisms from anyone.

Dave

G'day Dave,

The next step would be to highlight 3 key sessions each week (in red or something), so we can look at your recovery before and after those sessions. Example above.

The 3 keys sessions should focus on your greatest weaknesses, it's where you'll see the biggest improvements. They can be all in one discipline, if your doing a single sport focus, or spread across all three disciplines.

I'd think about taking 1 day off completely too. A weekend day could be on the cards to if your a family man.

Fluro
    P.S Not sure if you should be riding Cootha the day after your long run. Day before perhaps?? That would be good for muscle activation that could be tested on the long run.
    P.S 2: Monday looks like a an easy day but so does Tuesday. Tuesday could do with more quality (Bike or run)
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:16 pm

Revised Version:
    Mon - Run 60 min Easy

Tues AM - Swim session 80 min (Cycos)

Thurs AM - Ride - Coottha

Fri AM - Long Run (initially 90 min)

Sat PM - Run 45 min easy

*Figuring out where to put Coottha ride was a bit of an effort, but the day before the long run makes sense as Fluro put it.
    * Long run/ride seem logical choices as key sessions and Tuesday swim is where I'll be building up my swim the most. Swim is my biggest weakness, so just getting to the 3 swims a week will do me good, but Al's session will stretch me out a bit swimming wise.
    *If I was going to have a whole day off, I'd probably just move the Monday run to Tuesday PM or make it 2x30 min runs Tues AM & PM
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:32 pm

Dave Tyno wrote:Revised Version:
    Mon - Run 60 min Easy (Make this one optional or move it to Tuesday)

Tues AM - Swim session 80 min (Cycos)

Thurs AM - Ride - Coottha

Fri AM - Long Run (initially 90 min)

Sat PM - Run 45 min easy

*Figuring out where to put Coottha ride was a bit of an effort, but the day before the long run makes sense as Fluro put it.
    * Long run/ride seem logical choices as key sessions and Tuesday swim is where I'll be building up my swim the most. Swim is my biggest weakness, so just getting to the 3 swims a week will do me good, but Al's session will stretch me out a bit swimming wise.
    *If I was going to have a whole day off, I'd probably just move the Monday run to Tuesday PM or make it 2x30 min runs Tues AM & PM

Looks good Dave,

Nice balance.

Now just repeat, repeat and repeat.

Place a no excuse policy on those key sessions, so if it is raining, cyclone, etc you still get out there and do those key sessions. When you feel like doing more think about either adding more intensity or volume in just those key sessions. The key sessions are the ones that are going to teach you how to handle the work, all the rest will be there just to support those sessions.

If you get to your key sessions feeling tired, then something is worng with your basic week and you'll need to reassess. Most likel it will be because your easy days are not easy enough and your not recovering. Do that first (cut back the easy stuff), and if you are still feeling tired going into your key sessions, then you'll need to look at other things, like nutrition, sleep, work, etc.

Overtime you'll refine that basic week and you'll find it just forms a normal part of your life that you look forward to, if that changes then change what you are doing to keep the balance.

Ovetime, you'll find it easier and easier to do more (volume and or intensity) which will be a direct result of how consistent you have been.

Hope it helps
    Fluro
    Dave B

Post by Dave B Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:43 pm

Tyno
    your proposed standard week would be my dream week !! Very Happy
    I did 14 hrs last week and on holidays ... this week could be 16 - man I am near full time pro Razz

just be consistent and build slowly...no use ramping to quickly cause you will just slide back down the ramp tired and/or injured.the main thing I see is your attitude to get the training done...big step forward.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:18 am

Very timely as I myself am starting to have a think about structuring my training again.

As for the basic week, I think that is waaaaay too heavy. I like to think of the basic week as a week that you can do no matter what and is very hard for life to get in the way of. I am looking at it in three levels.

1. Basic week
    2. Core week
    3. Training week
    The basic week is just that, basic. Something like 2 swims, 2 runs and 2 or 3 bikes. This is the week that keeps you involved and keeps basic muscle memory and fitness at a level that you are not having to rebuild from scratch in any of the three disciplines.

Eg

Mon - Off
    Tue – Swim am 80 min
    Wed – Bike am 120 min
    Thur – Run am 40 min
    Fri – Swim am 80 min
    Sat – Run am up to 60 min
    Sun – Bike am 120 min

Total – 8:20

The core week is the next step and has the core sessions that allow you to have a body that can accept training loads and increases in intensity. This is a week that you would be doing as a longer term type set up but occasionally you may have to miss sessions. It would be the basic week plus a more focused session in each discipline each week that would increase in duration or intensity as you approach your race prep and would even possibly add a session for your limiters. Something like 3 swims, 4 runs and 4 bikes with a long bike and run gradually increasing in distance/duration for your race specific Training weeks.

Mon – Swim lunch or rest
    Tue – Swim am 80 min Run 40 min am
    Wed – Bike am 120 min Run 20min brick
    Thur – Run 60 min am Swim lunch 50 min
    Fri – Bike 120 min
    Sat – Run am up to 120 min
    Sun – Bike am 240 min
    Total – 14:10

Step 3, the training week occurs when you are specifically training for the event of your choice. These weeks would occur over 12-20 weeks depending on how your motivation holds out. I have found 14-16 is close to my limit for specific focus as I am usually ready to race 2 weeks out. This would build on the core week with specific sessions. What these days would include would be a topic in itself but as an example, one of my Ironman specific bigger weeks looked like this....

Mon – swim pm 60min
    Tue – Swim am 80 min run 40 min am run 40 min pm
    Wed – Bike 160min am run 20min am brick
    Thur – Swim/wind trainer/run am all 40 minutes flat out
    Fri – Bike 160min am run 20min am brick
    Sat – Swim 80min bike 180min am
    Sun – Run 180min am
    Total 19:00

This was about week 45 of 52 with a long repetition of the core week. I was uninjured and remained healthy. There were a couple of weeks bigger than this but included some sessions that I would probably not see the need to do again. 21-22 hours seems to be my limit.

So, what I am saying is that I feel building a week you can always hit no matter what is more important than a week that you will hit sometimes. As your dedication and routine builds, you will find it easier to do step 2 types of weeks but I feel that jumping straight into anything like 16 hours a week won’t last long and certainly won’t give you a whole lot of benefit at this early stage.

Thoughts anyone else?
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:26 am

What I also meant to add was that for your basic week (as per my definition), don’t think about detail just yet. I see Mt Cootha listed there. There are some very specific things that place is good for but worry about those for latter in stage 2 or better yet, stage 3. You need to get your life, mind and body prepared for the regular training. Please don’t take offence but am I right with my observation that sometimes the blanket monster wins in the morning? If you are comfortable in the knowledge that what you have planned is a) Appropriate and b) achievable,, it is far easier to win the fight.

I remember the second or third week of training with Al Pitman and riding to his house at 4:20am for our bike session and thinking to myself that there is no way I want to be doing this for the rest of my life. Thankfully I worked out pretty quickly that it was both appropriate and achievable and those Wed/Fri rides became my favourite sessions. I myself have written the grand training plans and when writing them have had to juggle and shift things and even then was still unsure if what I had down on paper was achievable. Just about every session that fit that bill, I did not do.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:37 am

To keep up the multi post spamming

Also think about the grander structure of your plan. Rest days, weeks and blocks. It is very difficult to train every single day for a long time. I rreallly like the iidea of a rrest day every week but in practice find that an evening easy swim does the trick and keeps the swim development up as I always do a drill session for it. I have to no mattter what have at least 1 full day off evey 4 weeks though. I also found that having a full week break is useful as well. I am not talking about time off after a race but say 10-15 weeks out, have a whole week off. I did this twice for IMs and went skiing. Very useful.

Looking above, if you were to do start with something like my suggested Basic week x 8 then do 3x Core week with a basic week for number 4 then repeat again, that would give you 16 weeks of training that would put you in a pretty good place to start with something like your original suggestion and then some. As for intensities, have a look on transitions and Animal has a thread about running. He has a table there that pretty much tells you exactly what you need to know. Give it a read.
    Shane M
    Shane M

Post by Shane M Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:02 am

I find the topic of structuring a training plan very interesting as over the last ten years I've never been able to train consistently at all. I work a 6 week flexible roster (10 hr shifts/8shifts/6 rest days per fortnight) however the rest days may be spread anywhere over the fortnight depending on rostering requirements with either day shifts (7/8am starts or arvo shifts 3/5pm starts). I've toyed with the idea that instead of having a basic training "week" to have a set of core sessions and working through them until completed, with the core sessions changing as required. It may take 6 days or 10 days etc depending on work and rest requirements to get through the sessions. I was wondering if anybody else has struggled with this type of issue and how you overcome it or adapt training to suit.

A lot of times I just end up riding and running with no set goal or objective and that is something I'd really like to change over the next 12 months as i think consistency is the key to improvement.

Sorry for the hijack.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:57 am

Alex R wrote:
    * that sometimes the blanket monster wins in the morning?
    * As for the basic week, I think that is waaaaay too heavy.

* Yes, this has been the case this year. It's one of the reasons I'm disappointed un my year as a whole. I dragged myself out of bed for most of my rides in the cold months and then slacked off when the conditions were nicer. Not going to let that happen in 2010.

* I understand what you're saying here. When I was at my fittest/leanest in the last couple of years I was doing 3 runs, 2 rides 1 swim and 1 or 2 transition/brick session a week. Probably around 7-9 hours.

Dave B wrote:
    *just slide back down the ramp tired and/or injured

That's another thing that I'm keen to get sorted. Trying to reduce the niggles I get from being overweight and having poor strength/flexibility.

Maybe I need to drink my SupaSlim shake and use my Abtastic for just 2 minutes a day............. Smile
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:00 am

Shane M wrote:
    A lot of times I just end up riding and running with no set goal or objective and that is something I'd really like to change over the next 12 months as i think consistency is the key to improvement.

I have the same thought, except I have been making excuses not to ride or run.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:24 am

Dave Tyno wrote:
    That's another thing that I'm keen to get sorted. Trying to reduce the niggles I get from being overweight and having poor strength/flexibility.

The only way to reduce niggles from weight is to weigh less. study

I can not stress enough just how important it is to get your nutrition into gear. Mine has been pretty ordinary the last year and I can feel it especially in the early mornings. The last 10 days I have been on the path to making the changes that I know need to be made to allow me to train properly and even after that short time have felt the kick in the pants I need.

There is much written about diet and supps but I reckon you should try the following....

Take 2x zinc tabs and 1x swisse ultivite and 1x mega B type tablet every day for a month. For that month, drink 1.25l of water first thing in the morning with the tabs THEN think about breakfast.

Food wise, think natural first. By this I mean, eat things that look like what they are. Appple, yes, apple pie, no. Cool I am yet to see a hamburger tree or a muffin vine Wink. As for protein, look at the colour. The lighter the better. eg pork - bad, cod fillet - good. Salad/vege items you can eat as much as you want. Drop all comdiments and additions. No spreads or 'extra' cheese. If there is one thing you MUST cut out, it is deep fried foods. All that said, allow yourself 2 meals a week where you can have what the hell you want. I suggest making one a dinner and the other either a breakfast or lunch. Do that for the month of January as well as my Basic Week and see where you are come Feb 1.
    Phill K
    Phill K

Post by Phill K Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:35 am

Dairy?
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:33 pm

Dairy, Gluten, Alcohol. All things most could do without. Very hard for most people to go cold turkey on though. There is some interesting info out and about on calcium availability and absorbtion from dairy. I have never been a big dairy person anyway but gluten is one I know I could do with eliminating entirely through some experiementation.
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:39 pm

Great advice on here. Might be worth pinning this thread to keep it at the top??

Another tip re: Basic week, be strict on your sessions but flexible when you do them, recovery is the key so don't be afraid to move things back 1/2 to a full day if you feel you are not recovered enough to execute those key sessions well.

Often I'll have hard ride scheduled for Tuesday, but I have at times been tired due to other factors (work, lack of sleep, stress) and as a result moved the session to a Wednesday or even Thursday.

Key session should be blanketed around easy days so those easy days can be shuffled to fit in with your recovery strategies.

fluro
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:08 pm

Alex R wrote:

The only way to reduce niggles from weight is to weigh less. study

If there is one thing you MUST cut out, it is deep fried foods.

Yeah,*sigh*, I know.
    Had Steakburger with the works and chips tonight.
    Will make that a once a month thing from now.

Once work goes back, I think I'll be the wanky salad bar patron or sandwich boy.
    Substituting something good for chips/chocolates at smoko time or when bored is the big thing for me.
    Will try cutting down to 1 can of soft drink a day to start with as well.
    Dairy - 500ml of milk a day, "Smart" milk 2%.
    Don't like cheese.
    Do have a yogurt every now and then, but will cut down there too.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:33 pm

Shane M wrote: I work a 6 week flexible roster (10 hr shifts/8shifts/6 rest days per fortnight) however the rest days may be spread anywhere over the fortnight depending on rostering requirements with either day shifts I was wondering if anybody else has struggled with this type of issue and how you overcome it or adapt training to suit.

Sorry for the hijack.

Totally relevant to the discusssion.

I have worked shift for 15 years myself and have done everything from 3 on 3 off to rosters acquitting over 4 months with haphazard days off. What I realised is that a week in true 7 day terms means nothing. The time frame is much longer sometimes and shorter others. The last couple of years I have been on a 4 on 2 off roster with a night every 4th day and quick 10 hour changes between shifts. That one has been an absolute nightmare and as a result, my training has sucked. There have been a couple of fairly major changes on the domestic front as well with a second kiddie arriving and the first one going from 4 days day care to two half days so available 'me' time dried up significantly.

Anyway, what is essential is planning. Just this afternoon I created my spreadsheet for the next 12 months. It has nothing filled in yet but has lines for Appointments, Shifts, Kid 1, Kid 2, Wife's appointments and then Sessions1-3. I fill in the top 5 then fit the training in around them. I always try to get 4 weeks done in advance and write the next 4 during recovery week. Even when I was having my plans written for me I still did this as some massaging was still required. I really found this was the easiest way to have a training plan that would work with some direction as opposed to realising I had a spare couple of hours and winging it.

As an example, scheduling a long bike the day after a night shift when I had to pick up kid #1 at 2pm then Mrs Alex had a work thing that arvo/eve then because I had the next day off scheduled an early morning swim/run just did not work. On face value that just sounds like two sessions over two days but when you can see all the little details, next to each other you can change that to maybe make it a lunch time swim, drop the short run and run refreshed the next day a little later on after say kindy drop off (and so on and so on).

You can however have the greatest plan in the world but unless you can execute it properly, it is worth jack. I really do believe that the most important step in any training plan is nutrition. I know that my best training has come when my nutrition intake has been at its best. It is no surprise.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:42 pm

Dave Tyno wrote:

Once work goes back, I think I'll be the wanky salad bar patron or sandwich boy.
    Substituting something good for chips/chocolates at smoko time or when bored is the big thing for me.
    Will try cutting down to 1 can of soft drink a day to start with as well.
    Dairy - 500ml of milk a day, "Smart" milk 2%.
    Don't like cheese.
    Do have a yogurt every now and then, but will cut down there too.

Just add one each week.

Week 1. Salads and Sangas for lunch
    Week 2. Week 1 plus reduce cans of drink replaced with water
    Week 3. Week 2 plus cut chips/choc substitute with almonds or pretzels
    Week 4. Week 3 plus Milk change

This plan is coming together already tyno isn't it? clown We have an eating plan, a prep phase and a plan for transition to higher volume as well as methods to organise and plan your training.
    Shane M
    Shane M

Post by Shane M Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:24 pm

Alex R wrote:
    Drop all comdiments and additions. No spreads or 'extra' cheese. If there is one thing you MUST cut out, it is deep fried foods. All that said, allow yourself 2 meals a week where you can have what the hell you want. I suggest making one a dinner and the other either a breakfast or lunch. Do that for the month of January as well as my Basic Week and see where you are come Feb 1.

Sounds like another of Alex's challenges in the making..........
    Shane M
    Shane M

Post by Shane M Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:40 pm

Alex R wrote:Dairy, Gluten, Alcohol. All things most could do without. Very hard for most people to go cold turkey on though. There is some interesting info out and about on calcium availability and absorbtion from dairy. I have never been a big dairy person anyway but gluten is one I know I could do with eliminating entirely through some experiementation.

started tonight - only one light beer on New Years Eve Exclamation

Regards Gluten, one of my daughters is diabetic and has Coeliac disease as well, so no gluten at ALL for her. You would be surprised at where gluten is found in your everyday foods and shopping basket. We have become very good at reading food labels. All of our main meals are gluten free however the rest of our family does not eat her bread as it is nothing like normal bread and is expensive. Unfortunately a strict gluten free diet will add $$$$$$$ to your weekly shopping bill but the choices out there are getting better. A gluten free diet without diabetes would be much easier to manage Laughing
    Mick B
    Mick B

Post by Mick B Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:05 pm

[quote="Dave Tyno"]
    Alex R wrote:
    Had Steakburger with the works and chips tonight.
    chips/chocolates at smoko time
    soft drink

That is some A grade shit right there, Tyno. Cut out half of it and you will drop a shedload of kegs.

Alex is on fire in this thread. It is easy to get caught up in specific sessions, but I reckon his three phase post is right on the money. Actually every sentence of his in this thread is spot on. Cut and paste them into a word document and re-read them every few days for re-assurance and a reminder. I do that when some advice really hits home and I know I need to pay attention to it.

Tyno, you and I sound pretty similar, ie, we have all the best intentions but the willpower of a sober alco. We both have to look in the mirror. If you want to be fit and lean, you don't do the (non-diet) soft drink or the chips etc. You are not alone, I am hopeless and have been fighting this battle since I started this caper.

Classic example - I have never seen crap food pass Harris1's lips even post ride, whereas I justify it because I have just trained 3 hours or whatever. I ask Harris why and he says, "I don't need to be eating that". Another time, we ride 195km hilly epic and end up at a Maccas. I go for a Big Mac meal because if ever I deserved one it was now, Harris sits and watches me. I shrug and munch away. He is 6 inches taller, weighs 1 kilo less, and qualifies for Hawaii. I get the shits but deep down know, "You reap what you sow".

It is not a conspiracy that we aren't ripped, fast, endurance animals. Talk is cheap, it is the actions that count. If we want it we've got to take the necessary steps. Let me know if you are in (and I'll probably try and find an excuse to take the easy option)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:00 pm