Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

4 posters

HRM for squad swimming

Matt Mac
    Matt Mac

HRM for squad swimming Empty HRM for squad swimming

Post by Matt Mac Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:26 am

Just wondering if anyone has had success using any sort of HR monitoring equipment for squad swimming. Want to try it for at least a few sessions but in past have had chest straps fall down when doing turns. Any other gadgets around?

edit to add: want to be able to do post-swim analysis not just look at monitor during session
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

HRM for squad swimming Empty Re: HRM for squad swimming

Post by Paul F Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:29 am

G'day Matt,

I tried it once years ago and like you said the strap would fall down with tumble turns.

fluro
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:07 pm

The Elite squad that trains right before us use these hand held 'straps'. They are a standard polar chest piece but are attached to a same sized piece of plastic so they are like a big rubber stamp looking thing. They finish their lap and the coach presses it on their back and records the HR. I don't know if it is a home made thing or commerciallly available.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Some say the run pace is equivalent to power...I disagree.
    Min/k in running would be Km/hr in Biking...not power. 4min/k on the flat is not the same as 4min/k on a 14% slope. BUT a watt is a watt. Pace has its place and is usuable provided you aknowledge its limitations. Gravity Ordered Velocity Stress Score would be a more accurate version of power for running.

I'm getting to my point.

BUT I do think that swim pace is if it is done in a pool, because it is repeatable apart from minor variances between pools.

So you don't need a HR monitor if you swim with power (pace). I like the charts in "The Triathletes Guide to Training With Power" by Dr Phillip Friere Skiba. Its also more meaningful to the swimmer than HR.

Chap 4 page 34

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:41 pm