Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+8
Mick B
Phill K
Shane M
Alex R
Dave B
Paul F
Steno
Dave Tyno
12 posters

Trying to plan a basic training week

Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Trying to plan a basic training week - Page 2 Empty Re: Trying to plan a basic training week

Post by Dave Tyno Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:00 am

Mick B wrote:whereas I justify it because I have just trained 3 hours or whatever.

It is not a conspiracy that we aren't ripped, fast, endurance animals. Talk is cheap, it is the actions that count. If we want it we've got to take the necessary steps. Let me know if you are in (and I'll probably try and find an excuse to take the easy option)

I think that sort of sentiment is way more common than it should be. I used to end my runs with a choc billabong and a gatorade until I finally twigged that I'm not using that many KJs on the run in the first place.

Part of it is the group think/routine.
    Go to the coffee shop get the fish bowl size Hot Chocolate or Capp and more.

I've started the year OK. 65 km ride with a couple of Cycos blokes. 1 gatorade and a gel and 1 litre of water so far.
    Will have a bowl of Just Right soon.

I want this year.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Trying to plan a basic training week - Page 2 Empty Re: Trying to plan a basic training week

Post by Alex R Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:04 am

65km I would forget the gel and eventually just go water. That was my weight loss signature session. 65km bike / 4km run brick water only every wed/fri.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:05 am

Alex R wrote:

Week 4. Week 3 plus Milk change

I just read this bit for the first time.
    I'm not eating dry Vita brits!
    Peta R

Post by Peta R Fri Jan 01, 2010 11:15 am

Dave Tyno wrote:
    Alex R wrote:

Week 4. Week 3 plus Milk change

I just read this bit for the first time.
    I'm not eating dry Vita brits!

Dave, would you be keen to try Oak milk on your vita brits instead? I think it tastes ok, you can buy it at Coles and it's the lowest GI milk out there.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:03 pm

I must have misread. I thought you were suggesting that you were going to change to low fat milk from full fat.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:32 pm

Peta - Have not heard of Oak milk. Biggest thing for me is that it would be similar to actual milk.

Alex - I'm on the 2% stuff now.

EDIT - For the record weight today is 101.9 KG.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:46 pm

Gotcha

Rereading the thread I am EXCITED for you Dave. Let's do this thing!!!!
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

Post by SamuelEB Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:11 am

Dave,
    Fantastic reading your progress already! As well as a basic week and a smart eating plan, the motivation or reasons you do the "basic week" must be real. You must be able to roll out of bed and say "Yes..I am doing this for me"...thats what I found made the big difference to my training. I made the mistake of trying to "keep up with the Jones'" and ended up missing/dropping sessions left, right and centre.

Now I train for me and my families good. If I am fit and healthy, that puts me in a positive state of mind and this echos through my whole life. When I have fried myself in training in the past, I have become a GRUMP Evil or Very Mad

You are recieving some excellent guidence here. Read, apply and learn. Hopefully(with fingers crossed) I might see ya in Yeppoon.

Cheers, Sam.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:40 am

SamuelEB wrote:Dave,
    I made the mistake of trying to "keep up with the Jones'" and ended up missing/dropping sessions left, right and centre.

I had a chat with Dave C this morning at after a run, and I think this is the biggest thing for me at this stage.
    Reading about sessions other people are doing on Triathlog etc, I can get a sense of "If they can do it, why can't I?" at times.

I have to remind myself that I'm not in a position to run/ride/swim as far as alot of other people yet.
    Last year I averaged 5 hours a week and was very sporadic.
    If I can average 10 this year and be consistant, I'll be heaps better off.
    a.sawatske
    a.sawatske

Post by a.sawatske Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:18 am

Big Dave, you sound very similar to myself. I am 10kg over the weight I should be. Raced as a pretty fast jnr. Then got a part time job, gf, left home, full time job etc etc etc. Now have wife and kid with another one due in May. Funnily enough I am training more now than when I was at Uni with all the time in the world.

Anyways, thanks for starting this talk Dave as it was helpful for me to read and Mr. Plaz is always a wealth of knowledge.I am going to sit down tonight and work out a base training plan, something I can do even when things are busy.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:14 pm

Right, trying to take in advice and still do some things I want, I've come up with a 2 week plan.

Week1

Mon - Off
    Tue - Swim 80 AM Run 40 PM
    Wed - Ride90 Run 30 AM
    Thu - Optional Ride AM Swim 60 PM
    Fri - Long Run AM
    Sat - Stretch 30 Swim 60 AM
    Sun - Long Bike AM

*I am contemplating doing the bike off the swim every other fortnight - once a month I'd do Stretch/Swim/Ride but keep the ride shorter and take Sunday off.

Week 2

Mon - Run 30 AM Swim 60 PM
    Tue - Ride 90 Run 30 AM
    Wed - Swim 60 PM
    Thu - Long Run AM
    Fri - Off
    Sat - Ride 45 run 30 AM
    Sun - Long Ride

*The Saturday brick ride from my place to Sherwood, initially, but will get a bit longer and/or include a ride home if the GF doesn't drive there. The run will hopefully eventually get down past my course PB of 27:50 from 2008 Smile

Post by Guest Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:44 am

These sound much better

although I would keep the shorter stuff for during the week and do the long stuff on the weekend.

Also If time permits then try to do most things in the morning, if left to the arvo then there is a big chance they will be dropped. do it early and get it out of the way, leaves more time for the other tings in your life.
    Matt C
    Matt C

Post by Matt C Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:29 am

all i would suggest is to watch your running / injuries..

be prepared to walk home alot if you feel a niggle.. whilst your dropping weight stay alert and listen to your body DONT GET INJURED..

or swim ride more!
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

Post by SamuelEB Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:15 am

Matt C wrote:all i would suggest is to watch your running / injuries..

be prepared to walk home alot if you feel a niggle.. whilst your dropping weight stay alert and listen to your body DONT GET INJURED..

or swim ride more!

+ 1
    I still stop and walk if I feel myself going into an injury. I have been injury free for 12months and pace and weight have both dropped. The main thing is consistancy and moderation over time.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 7:44 am