Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+5
Martin T
a.sawatske
Phill K
Glenn C
Dave Tyno
9 posters

What to drink when you can't face more water?

Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

What to drink when you can't face more water? Empty What to drink when you can't face more water?

Post by Dave Tyno Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:33 am

I'm going to improve my diet this year.
    One of the things I'm cutting down on is softdrink.
    It wouldn't be unusual for me to drink 2 litres of Coke Zero or Pepsi Max in a day.
    I'm trying to drink as much water instead, but I'm quickly finding the point where I want to drink something, but really don't want more water.
    What else can I drink that's not just stacking kjs into my day?
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

What to drink when you can't face more water? Empty Re: What to drink when you can't face more water?

Post by Glenn C Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:25 am

My post is a bit more general than the original question.

Far be it for me to talk about weight loss, but anything else will have calories. At some point you just have to be hungry especially if you have a big appetite.
    Dude, 2 litres of Pepsi or Coke in a day is ALOT of sugar Shocked. Yes even if tis not technically sugar.You should lose a tonne of weight just dropping that from the diet.

Buy a juicer and make your own juices. Try these 2:

4 green apples, 2 full sticks of celery leaves included, 1 inch piece of ginger.

4 green aplles, 2 large carrots, 30grams of FRESH beetroot. Optional piece of ginger.

Can water down to suit taste. Just be careful not to add too much ginger as it ends up very peppery if you do. Some of you will go What a Face at the ingredients list. But try it and you will be pleasantly surprised. These 2 recipes are the staple of my post ride recovery process. I recover better with thsi sort of stuff than I do with any of the commercial recovery drinks which I also have in the cupboard for when I'm time constrained or don't have all the ingredients. I also use both of these to carb load before an IM. Much better than breads and cereals or commercial sugar drinks. The 5 days before Port I went through well over 5kg of green apples. Sometimes after really big sessions I might add some natures own soy protein. But there is plant protein in the juice anyway. I generally prefer to get my protein from eggs (real food) as the whey proteiin is isolated using acid which just doesn't sound good for it to me.

Another way to cut out calories is when making up things like egg omeletes, drop the bread that you may have with it. See what you can leave out of alot meals.
    Phill K
    Phill K

What to drink when you can't face more water? Empty Re: What to drink when you can't face more water?

Post by Phill K Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:15 am

Good recipes.
    Can recommend both!!
    Watered down will help overcome the "not more water" feel.
    a.sawatske
    a.sawatske

Post by a.sawatske Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:13 am

I can relate Dave. After a while water just tastes yuck and the way I figure it the poofteenth of a calorie I would add to water by mixing it with something it outweighed by my drinking the fluids.
    My favs are
    Any all natural canberry or blueberry type friut juice. Add say 30ml t 1ltr. \
    Lemon juice. You can by lemon juice in a bottle or squeeze your own. You can also pretend you are on the lemon detox all the hot celeb chicks are on.
    Martin T
    Martin T

Post by Martin T Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:56 am

Mineral water (look for low sodium version) can help with the fizzy craving I find. Not saying its healthy but probably a lot better than coke and the likes Mad

Last edited by Martin T on Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
    a.sawatske
    a.sawatske

Post by a.sawatske Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:01 am

Martin T wrote:Mineral water (look for low sodium version) can help with the fizzy craving I find. Not saying its healthy but probably a lot better than coke and the likes Mad
    soda water is the goods for fizzy cravings
    Peta R

Post by Peta R Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:46 am

Would you be able to stomach tea? There are a zillion different ones easily available now. I drink green, peppermint and green clay mainly. However there are sweeter ones that you can drink cold.

Coconut juice is also another good one for post long ride.
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

Post by SamuelEB Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:04 am

There is a product called Emergen-C which is an extremely low calorie Vitamin C drink, about 1000mg per serve. Comes in different flavours and ya can get it from Complete Health.

I use it when water just gets too boring. I also use cold strong green tea after runs and bike rides. I battle with my weight too. Smile

Just remember to create a Calorie debt without comprimising recovery.

Hope this helps.

Sam.
    Gillian A
    Gillian A

Post by Gillian A Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:11 pm

You could try a mojito without the rum and sugar - muddle a couple of mint leaves and the juice of half a lime, add to sparkling mineral water or one of the fruity lo-cal mineral waters.
    Green tea is good, Japanese sencha for preference or the Japanese one with toasted rice added.
    Cameron G
    Cameron G

Post by Cameron G Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:12 pm

Mineral water with a dash of lemon or lime juice works a treat.

Dave, just say no to coke, it will only take a week of not having it to get over it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:15 pm