Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+2
Dani "fezza" T
Phill K
6 posters

How many weeks off training per year?

Phill K
    Phill K

How many weeks off training per year? Empty How many weeks off training per year?

Post by Phill K Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:56 am

I'm currently suffering from a lack of motivation. Stayed in bed this morning and missed a race I'd entered! My mileage is not high, although all of last year I didn't have a week off.

I'm wondering how many weeks off most people have?
    Dani
    Dani "fezza" T

How many weeks off training per year? Empty Re: How many weeks off training per year?

Post by Dani "fezza" T Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:41 am

I had four weeks off after IMWA09 - the first real block of time off in the last 18 months... IT WAS GREAT!!

I AM PUMPED about being back on the bike... havent been swimming yet. And done a bit of running (15k in three runs in one week, but the bike... whoohooo - cant wait to get on her again tomorrow!!

Taken up Boxing and that has really been good to do something different... to meet different people has also been great.

Lack of motivation comes from heaps of different things, worn out mentally, physcially... over the daily grind of training... maybe time to mix it up, have some time away and do something different, train with others if you train alone... have a re-look at your goals and ask yourself if it is what you really want to do??

Good luck!!
    Blair V
    Blair V

How many weeks off training per year? Empty Re: How many weeks off training per year?

Post by Blair V Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 am

I don't think I've ever taken a full week off. I have lighter weeks sometimes.
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:10 am

After major events ie IM, I take 2 weeks off. If it is the end of the session I take up to 1 month, however I go for the odd bike ride - 1-2 times per week and 1 run a week
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:48 am

I often take time off at the end of the season. Normally 3 weeks or so. When training for Port I break my season into 2, peaking for an A race in November or December then take 2 weeks off any structured training starting back again in January training for Port in April. I find this keeps me fresh and really motivated to do the work required for April. Out of all my planning, its the best idea I have found.

Now taking days off because you are tired isn't a bad thing. Due to my work schedule I often can have as much as 3 days in 9 off training. But when I train I do pretty reasonable days. A standard day in between shifts would be:
    AM 100/10brick Back up 2-3 hrs later for anywhere up to 4.5k swim. I have to back up so quickly in summer to get my swim done before all the muppets take over the pool at 4.30-6.30pm. In winter that day is swapped around doing the brick in the arvo and swimming indoors in the AM because being a Qlder I hate the cold in Canberra Embarassed The days off allow me to absorb those higher volume training days more often otherwise I would be a steaming crater inside 2 weeks.

I got the 2 weeks off before the IM build idea listening to an interview with Mark Allen where he used to go up to the hills (hippie style) to get away fromit all before starting his build for Hawaii. Seemed to work for him, so I thought I would give it a go...qualafied for kona that year Very Happy

Don't worry Phil, I was supposed to do the TACT race too, but didn't finish work until 1.30am.

Edit: Most look at taking time off as a hindrance to them being able to reach their goal. I look at it as the only way I will reach my goal. BUT taking days off because your motivation to reach the goal isn't strong enough is another point all together. If this is the case perhaps you need to look at figuring out why.
    Allan P
    Allan P

Post by Allan P Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:31 am

Very often athletes get stale because they don't allow themselves to de-train

To have a couple of weeks off after the peak "A" race, and then change the type of training to allow the peak to subside.

Not de-training can come back to bite you a couple of months later.

I have always suggested to guys whove trained up for the Ironman, have two weeks off totally, go for walks, sleep in drink wine and stay up late if you want to. Then after the first two weeks, the next four weeks should be
    * no runs over 1hr,
    * no bike rides over three hours,
    * no swims over one hour,
    * no training over 80%HR

After six weeks the mind and body are ready for the next build up

A season should have two peaks per year, that means only two tapers per year.

Lesser races should only have a two day freshen up rather than a taper Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 3:08 am