Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

5 posters

8 weeks HIM prep

MickyC
    MickyC

8 weeks HIM prep Empty 8 weeks HIM prep

Post by MickyC Mon Dec 14, 2009 6:11 am

I’m trying to decide if it would be viable for me to complete the 70.3 in Geelong (in 8 weeks).

My longest ever race was Noosa at the start of Nov (story here) followed by a local sprint race a week later. Since then my training has basically evaporated (except for the Microman Challenge attempts).

All I would be trying to achieve would be to complete the distance in a relatively* comfortable condition and come out the other end having enjoyed the experience rather than never wanting to do it again. I have no time goals.

Given the short time frame and lack of recent training, is there any advise for what I should be doing over the next couple of weeks? Is there anything in particular I should focus on, or any tests that I should do early on so that I can try and work some sort of program out for that? I have a HR monitor but no experience with HR zones etc.

Cheers,

MC

* perhaps this is impossible and that it's going to hurt regardless

here
    Cameron G
    Cameron G

8 weeks HIM prep Empty Re: 8 weeks HIM prep

Post by Cameron G Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:12 am

Witout a doubt you will be fine with 8 weeks training. I think that if you can run a marathon sub 5 hours then a sub 7 hour HIM is very possible with next to no training. With your experience in OD, the HIM will be a breeze.
    Dan B
    Dan B
    Super Awesome. 30X30 Run Champ.

Post by Dan B Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:24 am

Very doable. But consider getting some training.
    MickyC
    MickyC

Post by MickyC Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:48 am

Thanks guys - it's reassuring to hear that it can be done and that I'm not embarking on something that is going to end in tears Very Happy

Dan B wrote:Very doable. But consider getting some training.
    Good idea! Started yesterday with a run home from work – 12kms and I started to get a bit weary towards the end but I’m pleased with how I pulled up today.

One thing I think I need to work on is my discipline when it comes to not pushing myself too hard during my ‘longer training’.

Half way through the run I was feeling good, HR under control etc. This made me think ‘gee this is easy I should pick up the pace and push myself’ – which I did. This probably isn’t the smartest way to prepare for my first HIM, particularly with only 8 weeks to go Shocked

I think this comes from my previous sporting background where the fitness training was done at close to 100%. This mindset is proving difficult to change and my ad-hoc approach to training (ie no planning) probably isn’t helping.
    Dan B
    Dan B
    Super Awesome. 30X30 Run Champ.

Post by Dan B Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:04 am

Lol at my post. I meant coaching....
    a.sawatske
    a.sawatske

Post by a.sawatske Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:51 am

please let us know how your training has been going. I want to do Husky LC in Feb on about 8 weeks training. Did 5:32 last time and I want to better that but am running short on time.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:12 am

What you got in mind for a program Andy? Where are you right now?
    a.sawatske
    a.sawatske

Post by a.sawatske Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:29 am

Alex R wrote:What you got in mind for a program Andy? Where are you right now?
    Well I am on holidays until the 28th Jan so I would like to make the most of that. However the family demand more attention during that time as well... am finding that the most challenging!
    Right now, I am sitting on my couch about to plan something out Smile haha
    I might start a new thread about it. BTW, awesome forum.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:34 pm