Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

3 posters

40TT training - most efficient session(s)

MickyC
    MickyC

40TT training - most efficient session(s) Empty 40TT training - most efficient session(s)

Post by MickyC Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:03 am

Hi gang,

I've been roped into doing the bike leg for a team at Noosa which is about 120 days away.

It's a social team and we won't be at the pointy end but obviously I want to try and do a decent job of the ride.

Factors to consider are:

a) done minimal exercise over the last 3 months
    b) at a career all-time high weight due to a) and the fact that I've just come back from a few weeks holiday in the states

Now a) is something that is about to change as I am keen to get into some training and b) is already on the improve due to eating better, cutting out the grog (at least on weeknights Wink)

What I'd love is any advice on what would be the most efficent training that I should be doing.

I have the option of riding to work (14km each way) about 3 times a week and could possibly added some distance to that by leaving a bit earlier in the morning if need be. I also have access to a fluid trainer.

There is also a gym at work which I can used during lunch if need be. I used it for the first time in about 4 years last Wednesday. The muscle soreness only took until Sunday to go away Shocked

Oh and I have a powertap which I snagged of ebay although I really haven't played around with it too much.

I'm not too far from an outdoor velodrome too so if testing should play a part it should be a suitible venue.

Cheers,

MC
    Matt C
    Matt C

40TT training - most efficient session(s) Empty Re: 40TT training - most efficient session(s)

Post by Matt C Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:44 am

search some of the threads on here regarding the 20kTT some good info there.. 20kTT is not to different to a 40kTT

read the threads, get out and do some 20kTT's, and post results back here..

get the PT working and alex will wet him self pulling the data appart..

Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

40TT training - most efficient session(s) Empty Re: 40TT training - most efficient session(s)

Post by Alex R Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:57 am

I'd be using those work commutes to do a regular 15 min hurt session. It will get you used to the feeling of balls out. I have only ever done the one proper 40km (42.7) TT and it was actually 'easier' that I though to stay at pretty much 100% of FTP. I did cough blood the next two days though (for real). I would suggest going and doing a flat out 20 minutes somewhere and getting the average power, taking 90% of that (I understand this is not an FTP calc) and doing lots of 10-15 minute bursts at that intensity with the rest at 75-80% of that effort. YTou've done Noosa so you are fully aware that the last (and first) couple of kays is just suicide to ride proper fast along so take some joy in knowing you are only TTing properly for maybe 36km of the leg.
    MickyC
    MickyC

Post by MickyC Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:04 am

thanks for the advice Alex - that all sounds like a good place to start. I will do a TT and try and work out some sort of power range to aim for during the intervals. I will post my results up here for those who may be interested.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 9:53 am