Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

2 posters

Recovery post Ironman

Matt Mac
    Matt Mac

Recovery post Ironman Empty Recovery post Ironman

Post by Matt Mac Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:21 am

Doing some research on recovery from Ironman and uncovering some interesting info. Plan is to implement a protocol for a coach to use with his athletes post-IMNZ and use some objective measures (that's my part) of "readiness to train", if you like.

I'd love some input from those that have done IM on things like
    • How long did it take you to function normally with day to day tasks?
    • How long did it take until you felt ready to run?
    • How soon did you start running again?
    • How long did it take until you felt ready to return to normal training?
    • What sort of things did you use to help recovery post-race?
    • I know AP you have posted publicly about supplements immediately post race, care to repeat/expand on that again?
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Recovery post Ironman Empty Re: Recovery post Ironman

Post by Paul F Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:08 am

I'd love some input from those that have done IM on things like
    How long did it take you to function normally with day to day tasks?
    I tend to track my resting HR. I find my resting HR will be elevated by 10-15bpm for a good 4-6 weeks. After my first IM it took 3 months for my resting HR to get back to normal levels. Not sure why.
    I normally need about 6 weeks. For the first couple of days (4-5) I suffer from DOMS. Monday and Tuesday after the race is really bad. It’s hard to just walk down stairs and I need a handrail to help me.
    By the following the weekend I usually feel great, so much so you can actually ride quite comfortably at normal intensities. However, I usually only do minimal sessions and at most 5-8hr PW.
    The danger point comes after about 5-6 weeks, this is when I hit the hole. Everything just turns to mush. I have trouble sleeping, irritable, loss of motivation to train etc.
    I do find I tend to recover quicker with more experience. Didn’t take me long to recover from IM Germany 08 but I felt like to took way too long to recover from Forster in 98.
    How long did it take until you felt ready to run?
    2 weeks. I find for the first two weeks I’m suffering from niggling injuries, sore knees, tight ITB’s, very tight glutes, hammies and quads.
    How soon did you start running again?
    I usually give it about 4 weeks minimum.
    How long did it take until you felt ready to return to normal training?
    You actually feel pretty good the following weekend. This is a dangerous period. I think it might have something to do with still be on a mental high post race. Once the novelty starts to where off, ie by week 2-3 post IM, you start listening to your body more and discover things aren’t quite right.
    What sort of things did you use to help recovery post-race?
    Stay active, Keep activating the muscles as this must contribute to the repair process in terms of sending nutrients to the muscle cells. Keep everything well below zone 1. Trying to push the pace will really hurt the body and delay the recovery. Lots of cross training activities helps too. Walking, surfing, hiking, etc.
    I know AP you have posted publicly about supplements immediately post race, care to repeat/expand on that again?
    I’d be curious to know more about this too.

fluro

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:33 pm