Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+4
Scott M
SamuelEB
Matt C
Mel A
8 posters

Recovery after long sessions

Mel A

Recovery after long sessions Empty Recovery after long sessions

Post by Mel A Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:28 am

I am interested to seek thoughts and knowledge on recovery after long sessions. I am lucky enough to have a 6 week break from work coming up in Feb in the lead up to IM Port. As well as 10 days over the Christmas period.

What are some ways to recover best during the day after a long session in the morning. I find sleep is a helper, but are there any theories on eating (protein, etc), sleeping etc.

For example, I ran 24 this morning - what, apart from lying around all day, would be improve recovery for next session (whether it be later in the day or the next morning). My main issue up here is recovering from the heat (which is consistent day in, day out! LOL). Riding 5 hours yesterday knocked me for the rest of the day.
    Matt C
    Matt C

Recovery after long sessions Empty Re: Recovery after long sessions

Post by Matt C Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:21 pm

trannies has actually posted some useful stuff on this topic..

take from that debate what you want but ill add a few things.

just because your on holidays does not mean you can just 'up' your training.. becareful with your volumes and use the holidsays to up your recovery time more than anything.

assuming your doing the training loads correctly then you cant do better than stretching massage sleeping TV during the day Smile

training and racing in heat deserves another thread imo.
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

Post by SamuelEB Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:38 am

Matt C wrote:trannies has actually posted some useful stuff on this topic..

training and racing in heat deserves another thread imo.

+ 1

I have found since summer has arrived here in Mackay my pace at a given HR has dropped at least 1:00/km

Look after yourself Mel. Smile
    Scott M
    Scott M

Post by Scott M Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:44 pm

Hi Mel,

There was some good stuff on Trannies.

I tend to disagree a little with Matt C wrote. Here is a prime time for you to up the Km's and halp build a bigger base. You just need to stay realistic. I am just finishing 8wks solid blocks. (light at on work then 4wks of leave). I spoke with my coach and he agreed it was a oppurtunity not to miss. You are racing IMNZ correct???

To the recovery:

I am bad for this but im now making a conserted effort. Start writing down what you eat the day prior to a "big session". When you have a good long session replicate what you did the day prior. If it works again you are starting the session out in front. There is in my opinion not enough emphasis on what you do in the hr's leading up to a big session. Do the ice baths, Opti sleep etc but make sure you start every session well hydrated, fed and rested (Sleep).

Food for thought
    a.sawatske
    a.sawatske

Post by a.sawatske Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:55 pm

Get some Compressport compression garments. I was a staunch hater of these things and have owned and tried a fair few having worked at Rebel Sport for years. Compressport are by far the BEST out there. I am amazed at how they help me recover just by putting them on.
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:24 am

make sure you eat within 15 to 30mins of exercising and aim for about 50g of CHO at least. If you are watching TV, then the best thing is to lie on your back and put your legs up a wall.

There is lots of talk about ice baths but personally I find a warm bath far better.

Let us know what works for you Smile
    Blair V
    Blair V

Post by Blair V Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:36 am

Julie H wrote:make sure you eat within 15 to 30mins of exercising and aim for about 50g of CHO at least. If you are watching TV, then the best thing is to lie on There is lots of talk about ice baths but personally I find a warm bath far better.

Interesting you say that. I've never tried an ice bath but often have a hot bath after a big session. I've never heard of anyone else doing it though. Not sure how much it helps but it always makes me feel better
    Aidan R

Post by Aidan R Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:03 am

This is the best article I have seen on recovery for triathletes:
    http://alancouzens.blogspot.com/2009/04/serious-recovery-for-serious-athletes.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:02 pm