Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+4
SamuelEB
Alex R
Rogerio A
Phill K
8 posters

Shoe advice

Phill K
    Phill K

Shoe advice Empty Shoe advice

Post by Phill K Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:56 am

I'm looking for any advice on shoes to train/race in.
    I've been doing everything in kayanos and have only one issue in that I find them heavy.
    As a bigger guy, mid 90kgs, with a neutral and efficent gait any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Since returning to triathlon, after nearly twenty years off, I battle with a few calf issues. Flexability and age related?
    Rogerio A
    Rogerio A

Shoe advice Empty Re: Shoe advice

Post by Rogerio A Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:03 am

Hi Phil,
    90% of the guys I know who changed shoes for no reason other than trying something else ended up injuried, myself included.
    After trying Mizunos and Nikes, I now stick to Kayanos and 2150s for training and racing. If you really need a lighter shoe maybe consider trying the Asics DS.
    I'm sure others will disagree.
    Rog
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Post by Alex R Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:20 am

I agree with rog no both brand and injury experience. The asics are the best and I am the same weight as you. Try the 2150 as a cheaper alternative.
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

Post by SamuelEB Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:28 am

Hey mate,
    Yeah I'm a big dude too and find even though Kayanos are heavy they give me enough cushioning to do 50-70kms of running per week consistantly. I tried to change my running style to suit Newtons in a look to change to them but my Achillies and Calves just wouldn't let me, even with strengthening and stretching. Stick with what works. Hope this helps some.
    Rex R
    Rex R

Post by Rex R Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:57 am

Hi Phil,

I have tried the Kayanos and agree they are a heavier shoe - great training shoe though and they really lasted well. I am currently using the Mizuno Wave Rider 12 for both training and racing and they have been great for me - switched to these after seeing a podiatrist who is also a runner which was money well spent. As Rog said, there will be lots of opinions on shoes!
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:54 am

Most big guys pefer Asics..why change? Most of the lighter guys I know like a more mobile shoe and either still run Nike or have changed over to Mizuno.

Wave rider 12 for racing...you should consider racing on something more like a wave precision. Good cushioning without the weight penalty of wave riders. I find the wave riders good for training because I can get so many kays out of a pair 1000k+. The Precisions wear ALOT quicker and are much more mobile with similar shock protection...a great IM/marathon race shoe
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:00 am

Mizuno have done alot of research and are probably the leaders on the effects of proprioception on shock absorption in running and putting it to practice in a shoe. It turns out max cushioning in the shoe is not the best thing for runners. I just find you can really "feel" the road in Mizunos compared to Nike. In saying that I have never found a pair of shoes that fitted me better than the early 90s Nike Hurache Light that I ran in then and would offer up my first born child for a pair to run in again. Shocked
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:41 am

I found the Mizuno Wave riders were outstanding for 500km then they died very very quickly and the whole sole shape went out of whack of course ending in an injury. 92 kegs at the time.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:19 am

No probs here mate...70kgs of twisted steel and sex appeal Very Happy Little wonder they twisted out of shape how would you be if someone 92kegs jumped up and down on you for 500kay? And no I'm not talkin about that girl from high school!
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:25 am

I usually aim for a neutral shoe. Bought new Balance 965 after having Asic Nimbus, both good shoes. Was getting sore knees recently and checked my shoe mileage on Triahtlog, 800+km so I went and bought a new pair.

Our feet and how we run are all different. I recently bought Kayanos because I need a shoe with 4E width and that is all they had.

I think one trip to a good foot podiatrist is worth the money. They can assess your feet and how you run and from there you can select a range of shoes to match your style.

For years I was running in size 10.5-11 shoes purely because I needed the width. I didn't even realise shoes can be made with different widths. I now run in size 9 with 4E width.

fluro
    Phill K
    Phill K

Post by Phill K Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:50 am

Thanks all.
    Sounds like I should stick with the kayanos!
    Alex you said the Mizanos went out of shape after 500k, what sort of mileage should we expect or does everyone get per pair??
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:13 am

I get 800-1000 from Asics. After 800 I retire them to sub 60 minute runs and 1000 in the bin.
    Richie M
    Richie M

Post by Richie M Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:21 am

I'm a bigger athlete also (92kg) and I do all of my training in Kayanos, except of the odd speed session closer to a race.
    Kayanos are a heavier shoe, but thats makes you feel fast when you race in a lighter shoe! I currently use Saucony Fastwitch 2 for all races and never had any issues with them. I even did the GC marathon in them. The Saucony's might be worth a try.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:08 pm