Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

2 posters

Training German Style

Mick B
    Mick B

Training German Style Empty Training German Style

Post by Mick B Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:04 am

First ever triathlon book I bought was "Triathlon Training" by Dr Herman Ashwer, a German Age Grouper. It was a tough read I think due to translation as they had somehow managed to maintain a German accent. The guy was seriously quick having taken up endurance sport at 40-odd.

The main thing I remember from his book was how his training blocks were always totally unbalanced. He had swim blocks, run blocks and bike blocks which he rolled through where he had only maintenance levels of the other disciplines while he smashed one of them, usually the bike or run.

After reading Friel and a few others who all espouse a "balanced" program of say 3 or 4 of each, I am starting to think Herr Ashwer may have been onto something.

For example, I am happy if I can punch out 12 hours a week, 14-15 in an IM prep. Back to the 12 hours, whichever ratio of swim/bike/run, say 3/5/4 or 2/6/4 or even 1/8/3, it is really not enough to get decent at any of them.

So I am giving my German mates philosophy a go. Looking at getting around 6 hours a week running in until Xmas, and bugger the bike. Then a big January on the bike to get it back up to scratch while trying to hold my (hopefully massive) run gains.

Anyone done things this way and care to share how it went?
    Phill K
    Phill K

Training German Style Empty Re: Training German Style

Post by Phill K Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:24 am

Any chance of a regular update on how this is going?
    I for one would be interested to hear what sort of results you get.

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:46 pm