Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+4
Nathan C
MickyC
Alex R
Dan B
8 posters

Riding into the wind, best gear strategy

Dan B
    Dan B
    Super Awesome. 30X30 Run Champ.

Riding into the wind, best gear strategy Empty Riding into the wind, best gear strategy

Post by Dan B Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:23 am

When riding into the wind is there a proper strategy in relation to gear and cadence. Is it better to have a bigger gear and slower cadence or smaller gear and higher cadence? Or does it not matter?
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Riding into the wind, best gear strategy Empty Re: Riding into the wind, best gear strategy

Post by Alex R Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:49 am

I prefer a higher cadence as any inclines will require less shove as they increase than a lower than normal cadence.
    MickyC
    MickyC

Riding into the wind, best gear strategy Empty Re: Riding into the wind, best gear strategy

Post by MickyC Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:53 am

Good question, one which I'm interested to hear some opinions on.

I'm not a big person by any means, so I struggle into a headwind. All I do is try and maintain the cadence I'm comfortable with, so if that means dropping it down a few gears so that I can keep the legs going then so be it.

I look at a headwind like a hill, the higher the wind speed the steeper the hill. I'm not strong enough to stay in the same gear on a hill as I do on the flats - same goes for a headwind.

In saying all that, some of the people I ride with (who tend to be bigger and stronger than me) seem to be able to smash a big gear all day, everyday, windy or calm.

The Dutch pro's tend to be big units who probably don't even have a small chainring fitted to their bikes and it don't get much windier than where they're from…

One positive way to look at it is when you are climbing, there's nothing you can do to reduce the incline, but when it's a headwind at least you can try and get as aero as possible.
    Nathan C
    Nathan C

Post by Nathan C Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:00 am

I like to think of it like this.
    If there is wind, everyone is feeling it. Why should you change how you ride if the wind is blowing in your face? It's just like riding with a bit more resistance, like alex said ist akin to climbing a hill. I favor riding normally, however i have a high cadence, 100-105 avg.
    A big gear + low cadence + resistance = very sore legs

Similarly in a tail wind, you have less resistance so you can push a bigger gear.
    Jason C
    Jason C

Post by Jason C Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:07 am

I don't know, I feel I go better in a low gear in a headwind & it doesn't seem to affect my legs too much. Being triathletes we are told to use a high gear to slice through a headwind but I don't know about that. I seem to go faster in a lower gear and tough it out. In a high gear I just seem to go nowhere fast.

It all comes down to how much strength you have in your legs, I believe I have strong legs through years of playing football & going to the gym. The best way to build strength in your legs is to either go to the gym & do heaps of squats & leg press, or ride a low gear into the wind or up a hill & give your legs a great workout. If you are always spinning an easy gear with a high cadence, how are your legs going to get strong??

I know I also need to improve my cadence especially for tris & IM.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:39 am

Jason C wrote:The best way to build strength in your legs is to either go to the gym & do heaps of squats & leg press, or ride a low gear into the wind or up a hill & give your legs a great workout. If you are always spinning an easy gear with a high cadence, how are your legs going to get strong??

I know I also need to improve my cadence especially for tris & IM.
    I'm pretty sure Alex S and a couple of others covered off riding hills to gain leg strength on Trannies recently.
    For someone in my situation, getting endurance is a higher priority than strength, even if that means spinning an easier gear for longer.

Into the wind, from a Tri perspective at least, I think you'd be better off going to a slightly easier gear.
    This would be where knowing power would be dead handy I think. If you can't afford power, having an accurate idea of your "normal" IM/HIM RPE would help.
    Basically, knock the gears down a bit until RPE into the headwind is equivalent

I know at GCHIM on my 3rd lap, I was sitting in the low 20s coming back into the wind. Finding the balance between taking it easier and taking it too easy can be tough.
    Cam W
    Cam W

Post by Cam W Sat Nov 28, 2009 11:37 pm

For me a higher cadence seems to be the way to go... I have recently tweaked my TT setup to allow me to maximize my cadence (crank length shorter, higher overall gearing, closed up knee angle & opened up hip angle) Yesterday was a great example 50ks return ride into a block headwind of 35kph up to 45kph.

I held a cadence of 105 easily, action was smooth and pulled the bunch along in the low 30's. Grinding I would have never had the legs to stay at the front.

I guess my point is that position and setup is a contributing factor into how "well" I ride into a headwind.
    Matt C
    Matt C

Post by Matt C Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:54 am

ride the same cadence and power for what your trying to achieve..

dont look at the speedo.

its about your perceived effort or constant power output. keep it the same into the wind or with it

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:16 pm