Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

3 posters

Heat Racing

Julie H
    Julie H

Heat Racing Empty Heat Racing

Post by Julie H Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:29 am

Am wondering how you can train your body to get use to racing in the heat. Macca has done it. My only ideas are training when it is hot and being as light as possible and also not getting sun burnt. Any other suggestions?
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Heat Racing Empty Re: Heat Racing

Post by Paul F Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:00 am

Train in hot conditions.

I'm coaching a guy who is doing China next year and where he lives it's already getting down to zero degrees.

To compensate and adapt him to the heat he does W/T sessions in a small heated room, no fan with thermals on. His fluids are at room temp, like they would be in a race and basically we a trying to get his body to adapt to cooling itself more efficiently. So we are working on a fluid intake strategy that will assist in keeping is body temp down.

It's not perfect but at least he is teaching himself to handle the heat. He says it really hard to train this way and that suggests to me he is training the right way. The harder and hotter we can make it for him in training the less of an impact it will have on him in a race.

You need to monitor things like your weight before and after these sorts of sessions and how much fluid you are taking in.

You need to be really careful you don't dehydrate, because that is a bad thing.

If I was someone doing Hawaii for example, I would be running at the hottest time of the day, with a camelback to ensure I am replacing aorund 1-1.5litres per hour. I would wear a cap or visor, sunscreen and would even look into some sort of long sleeve top that will assist in keeping me cool.

This is a good quote from the Science of Sport blog

“You don’t slow down because you are hot, you slow down in order to prevent yourself from getting hot”

With that in mind if you can minimize the risk of overheating then you'll minimise the chances of slowing down.

I think if your racing an IM that is hot then training your internal cooling system would be a high priority.

Fluro
    Todd C

Post by Todd C Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:04 am

An old skool mate in Canberra was training for Hawaii back in the early-mid 90's. He used to do W/T sessions in the bathroom with the heater on. He would wear plenty of clothing. He would line up 6-8 bidons and just suck 'em down as he went through the session.

That is pretty tough mentally as well as physically.

I suck in hot conditions. Coming from Hobart, then Canberra and now Port Macquarie, I am starting to get used to it, but have a long way to go in really hot and humid conditions. I did some training in Hawaii last year and can't imagine racing there. Hydration and cooling would be a major issue for me. Lucky for me I don't think there is much chance of me racing over there any time soon Sad

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content