Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+3
Alex R
Glenn C
Dave Tyno
7 posters

Confirming if my bike is too small?

Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Confirming if my bike is too small? Empty Confirming if my bike is too small?

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 am

I'm currently on a nice 2009 Blue Ora. Frame size is a 51 (I think) - assuming the little sticker inside the rear wheel arch is correct.

Geometry (from http://www.orbea.com.au/fly.aspx?layout=bikes&taxid=66&pid=149)

SEAT TUBE (2) 590
    TOP TUBE (3) 534
    HEADTUBE (4) 95
    CHAINSTAY (5) 385
    SEAT ANGLE (6) 74/76
    HEAD ANGLE (7) 73
    STACK (Cool 512
    REACH (9) 395

I'm currently running a heap of spacers and, I think a 110 stem.

The bike shop fit me up and measured the bike up, so they were happy enough with the fit and they let me have it on very good terms. I don't think they'd sell me something that was totally not right for me.
    The first bike they put me on was a size 57 Orbea Enol

SEAT TUBE (2) 520
    TOP TUBE (3) 570
    HEADTUBE (4) 176
    CHAINSTAY (5) 405
    SEAT ANGLE (6) 73.2
    HEAD ANGLE (7) 73.2
    STACK (Cool 590
    REACH (9) 391

I know the TT bike is usually smaller, but is it too small?
    It didn't seem to affect me too much at the last sprint I did - my run was probably the best run leg I've done so far.
    But there's just that nagging doubt.
    How do I confirm if the bike is or isn't right for me, hopefully without hurting my relationship with the bike shop?
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Confirming if my bike is too small? Empty Re: Confirming if my bike is too small?

Post by Glenn C Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:41 am

Go see a local independant bike fitter who has a good history.
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Confirming if my bike is too small? Empty Re: Confirming if my bike is too small?

Post by Alex R Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:48 am

Brian Maclean is the go to guy. Andrew K will have his details and hopefully sees this.
    Jason C
    Jason C

Post by Jason C Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:02 am

Yep Brian Mclean is the bees kness, ducks nuts when it comes to bike fitting. He fitted me to my time trial bike in Sep 09, he has an office at Qld Sports Medicine at the Gabba...he is a sports scientist who use to work for the AIS. He now works for cycling NZ I think. He is a bit eccy but you get what you pay for. i would highly recommend him. $250 for 1 bike & I think $375 for two bikes.

His email is: brianmclean@ozemail.com.au

I need to have him fit me to my new roadie actually. You probably won't get to see him for at least 2 weeks though.

Clarkey
    Richie M
    Richie M

Post by Richie M Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:00 am

Brian's price's have gone up, now its $320 for 1 bike. Last I heard there was about a 2 or 3 month wait list to see him.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:31 am

How tall are you? Dave B. tells me at least 6ft?

If so IMO then it is too small. Having look at the geometry I wuold say you need the 54 or even the 57 depending how you are going to set it up, road or tt.

I'm 5'10ish and have a 548 TT frame set up at 76 that's a little too big for me. Rode a 540 TT setup at 78 that was spot on.
    Matt C
    Matt C

Post by Matt C Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:33 am

http://www.bikesplit.com/bikefit.htm

never used them.. found them searching the net one time..

disclaimer.. could be cheap easy way out
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:45 am

Dave C wrote:How tall are you? Dave B. tells me at least 6ft?

Yeah 6 ft 1 ish.
    Setup would be most probably be like the current bike - drops with clip ons.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:03 am

Seat forward, middle or back?

measure seat height center of BB to top of seat, front of seat to center of handle bars and center of bars to ground. Do your knees hit the arm rest of your aero bars?
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Feb 10, 2010 12:56 pm

Seat is in "Chrono" position (rear). Have never had it in "Tri" position (forward). It seems to be pretty much as far back on the seat rails as it could be as well. (I.E pushed as far toward the back wheel as possible)

Centre BB to top of seat 770
    Front of seat to centre Handlebars 520
    Centre bars to ground 880

60 mm of spacers

I don't hit the arm rests - I have to pay a bit of attention if I'm out of the seat climbing, but I can't remember bashing my knee or thigh.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I went into the bike shop today and chatted to the team.
    They're positive it's the right size, but they're going to tweak cranks and stem to try and lift me up a bit.
    We'll see after that.
    David B
    David B

Post by David B Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:42 pm

There are a number of bikes that would be better suited to the position they've put you in (ie wouldn't need to go above the spacer limit). But it's not impossible for a 6ft person to be on a 51 - so from that view it 'could' be the right size, but as you are currently positioned it's not.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:33 pm

Picked it up today.
    Longer cranks.
    Shorter stem, angled upwards, bars around 35 mm higher.
    Pads for aero bars another 10 mm higher too.
    Will take it for a spin on Thursday probably.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:06 am

FINALLY got around to having someone else take a look.
    Steely and Dingo both think it's probably a size too small.
    It's not the reason I suck though Smile

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:52 am