Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+4
Rogerio A
Mick G
Alex R
Nathan C
8 posters

Barefoot Running

Nathan C
    Nathan C

Barefoot Running Empty Barefoot Running

Post by Nathan C Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:17 am

Been having an interesting discussion with training partners on the benefits of barefoot style running shoes eg. the 5 fingers shoes and the nike free's.

Is there a place for it? It's shown that barefoot running will shorten the stride and get you onto the forefoot, but what about the lack of support? can this lead to foot/tendon/lower limb injuries? and the what about lack of cusioning, is this a sure fire way for stress fractures?

I'm a kit whore and like to buy into all the gimmicky things, 650c Wheels, newtons, soft rides!!!
    Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

Barefoot Running Empty Re: Barefoot Running

Post by Alex R Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:30 am

Al Pittman has been talking about it a bit of late after PJ bought him a book on the subject. I have not loooked at it at all but one of the guys is looking at stuff via a few short treadmill runs to start with.

I was watching the squad do run backs a few weeks ago at the pool when I was crook and we were noting the really heavy foot strikes of some of the dudes compared to others. When they all put shoes on it is not anywherre near as noticable but the theory is that the shoes modify the running style over time based on the fit as opposed to the body's natural movement.

To me in my specific case it sounds like something I would be writing a blurb on the injuries I got if I tried it. I would think lighter people would have a better time of it. Seems to have worked for PJ.
    Mick G
    Mick G

Post by Mick G Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:23 am

A guy who frequently attends my Sat running group only ever wears the Vibrans or some days its just Gods running shoe's. He mainly does trails but told me since loosing the shoes the ITB problem he could never get rid of has all but disappeared. Each to there own I guess.
    Just no i'd never try it, I walked from the front door to the road yesterday across my dry brown grass and almost turned back for a pair of thongs.

Merry Xmas

Mick G
    Rogerio A
    Rogerio A

Post by Rogerio A Thu Dec 24, 2009 2:25 am

It's the Newton movement of forefoot strike.

There's a book that's gone gangbusters in the States called Born to Run (prob the same AP/Jacobs are talking about). Link here http://www.amazon.com/Born-Run-Hidden-Superathletes-Greatest/dp/0307266303

I have no opinion formed but from anecdotal feedback lots of people have been getting injured trying to change their running style to forefoot strike. As mentioned before on the shoe thread, I am very wary of changing sneakers specially when I know what I have has been working for me and keeping me injury free.

If you're a big guy (above 75-80kegs) I'd stay away from this shit. The skinny dudes can get away with pretty much anything including Dunlop Volleys!!
    Peta R

Post by Peta R Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:00 am

Nathan, I have the book "born to run" if you would like to borrow it. I found it to be a good read.
    Nathan C
    Nathan C

Post by Nathan C Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:06 am

Peta R wrote:Nathan, I have the book "born to run" if you would like to borrow it. I found it to be a good read.

Sweet, catch you for a coffee at Grind one morning!
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:49 am

The funny thing about these shoes is you pay more for something that does less Shocked
    SamuelEB
    SamuelEB

Post by SamuelEB Thu Dec 24, 2009 5:44 am

Guys as small as Pete Jacobs can probably get away with barefoot running too.
    Matt Mac
    Matt Mac

Post by Matt Mac Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Merry Christmas.

as part of some rehab for a shin injury I was doing a return to run program including some walking/strength exercises, run drills and run thoughs earlier this year. Did most of it barefoot on grass and think it has helped my "feel" for the surface you run on and definitely helps you formulate a stride/contact pattern that minimises "shock" and think about how you impact the ground. I think in small doses on the right surface it is beneficial for anyone.
    Nathan C
    Nathan C

Post by Nathan C Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:22 am

Matt Mac wrote:Merry Christmas.
    I think in small doses on the right surface it is beneficial for anyone.

Yeah thats my thoughts, small dosesare great as part of running devlopment, i would be keen to hear from those people who do all their running in free's or 5 fingers or have at least used them.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:30 am

As a kid I remember competing at school athletics in barefeet up until I reached high school. That was for any distance that was run on the track, not X Country. We lived out in the country and it was the done thing.

Edit: Our school track was dirt. Man it hurt when we stood on one of those goats head thorns though. Sometimes winning the race was about not striding onto one of those at full stretch What a Face

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 12:57 pm