Triathnet

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Triathnet

Triathlon training discusssion

+11
Richie M
Todd C
Cameron G
Jason C
Julie H
Wayne_tri62
Dave B
Paul F
Matt C
Blair V
Alex R
15 posters

This week I.....

Alex R
    Alex R
    **MicroMan World Record Holder**

This week I..... Empty This week I.....

Post by Alex R Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:48 pm

Hi gang

I am going to start a weekly thread as titled above with the start date. What I intend is that at the start of the week you say what you are going to do then same thread, say what you did do. I will start it every Sunday. Post away as I know I get some assistance fro putting things down on paper to help plan.
    Blair V
    Blair V

This week I..... Empty Re: This week I.....

Post by Blair V Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Easy! This week I will do nothing as per my program. (Well I might sneak in brisk walk or two and maybe an easy swim but don't tell my coach)
    Matt C
    Matt C

Post by Matt C Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:48 am

with a solid base and 2 weeks out from a goal race im turning the screws up on the threshold work...

3 threshold sets booked and 2-3 crits..

fire up
    Paul F
    Paul F
    Coach

Post by Paul F Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:32 am

This week I'll be doing my last big day training (1hr/5hr/2.5hrs) on Wednesday.

fluro cheers
    Dave B

Post by Dave B Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:00 am

swim - mon + thurs pm
    run - wed
    ride - tues + fri + easy spin sat
    sun - smash it up @ Caloundra sprint tri
    Wayne_tri62
    Wayne_tri62

This week I..... Empty This week

Post by Wayne_tri62 Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:16 am

Laughing Getting over hangover from Gundi and nothing until Wed arvo. Will then do a arvo 10 k run, gym weights on Thursday with pool and move into sprint training and speed work for Qld State Titles on 21/2/2010. Gundi made me confident I can actually swim 2k in open water, so now I want to swim faster. Smile
    Julie H
    Julie H

Post by Julie H Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:59 am

Will run 1 lap of Cootha Wed and Fri am, Windtrainer on Thursday am, bike to at least Samford on Saturday and Cyco ride on Sunday
    Jason C
    Jason C

Post by Jason C Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:06 am

Swim tonight about 2ks, river loop ride in the morning, Fri 1hr run, Sat Swim, Sun long bike with Cycos.

Easy week this week after Gundi so we'll see how this pans out.
    Cameron G
    Cameron G

Post by Cameron G Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:24 am

SWIM
    This week i plan to do alot of swimming. 20 km is the goal, a big step up from previous highest of 12.4 km. I want to break the back of swimming to help in the lead up to IMOZ.

BIKE
    Recover from the 100km TT i did on sunday morning with a few light rides, and a longer ride on friday. Sat and sunday im working damn it.

RUN
    Slowly get back into running after a little injury, with a few short runs and maybe a longer one on Thursday or sat night after work.
    Todd C

Post by Todd C Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:56 am

SWIM - keep being consistent. For me that means 2 x squad and at least one other swim, prefer in open water.

BIKE - easy ride mid-week followed by a 100km TT this weekend. Trial new aero lid and race day set up (for IMOZ)

RUN - sorting out a niggly knee so will be keeping it light this week in what is a recovery week anyway. Plan is for 3 runs of 30-40 minutes.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 pm

Keeping t pretty easy so far this week but am starting some form of structure on Wednesday. Swim challenge is 2 days old and I have not got wet yet. Have entered an open water swim on Saturday though. Pretty much looking like

Wed - Swim/run around 2 hours total then pm 2 hour bike tempo
    Thur - Swim
    Fri - Bike 120-140 IM+ effort
    Sat - Ocean swim

See how that rolls
    Richie M
    Richie M

Post by Richie M Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:53 am

Nothing for me this week as i just had some wisdom teeth pulled out!! told i cant run for a week.

Post by Guest Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:19 pm

I will endeavour to not take too many pain killers, actually get some sleep and finish the sprint race Sunday.

Maybe take a bit more time to think about my retirement from tri's at the end of this season.
    Gillian A
    Gillian A

Post by Gillian A Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:35 pm

This week is my last big week leading up to Huski, only my second LC venture. I will do what my coach has ordered:

Monday, swim squad and 1:45 run - both done
    Tuesday, 30 min run, 1 hr wind trainer - both done
    Wednesday, swim squad and run track session - both done
    Wednesday - ART for maintenance, done, and ice bath/hot shower - I'm procrastinating
    Thursday - rest day
    Friday - swim squad and 1 hour run
    Saturday - ride 1 hour to club brick session
    Sunday - 4 hour ride.

AND, try to get 6.5-7 hours sleep per night.
    AND, try not to be a grumpy old woman.
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Wed Feb 03, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm doing my eating diary for Al.
    Hmmm. Embarassed
    I swam yesterday.
    Slacked off on my run tonight.
    Plan to make that up tomorrow.
    Ride Friday.
    Swim/Ride Sat morning.
    Undecided about Sunday ride.
    Mick B
    Mick B

Post by Mick B Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:59 am

Wondering whether to ignore occasional discomfort in right big toe joint/front of arch area or see someone about it.

Weird, I can run with it but it is there. I forget about it later and get up from sitting or lying down and get a stabbing pain.

Anyone had anything similar?
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:54 am

am having off before starting on my path to becoming a much better swimmer. Then I can bludge in the pace line waiting for the run.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:13 am

Mick B wrote:Wondering whether to ignore occasional discomfort in right big toe joint/front of arch area or see someone about it.

Weird, I can run with it but it is there. I forget about it later and get up from sitting or lying down and get a stabbing pain.

Anyone had anything similar?

You need to elaborate some more mate. Does this sound like it:

Pain under first Metatarsal Head (sesamoidtitis)? Increased mileage lately, running hills, doing speed work or running more on the ball of your foot (trying forefoot running?). There are little bones under the first metatarsal head called sesamoids. They protect the first metatarsal because they get hurt before it does.

Self Diagnosis: To see of you have bruised these bones feel the bottom of your foot with your fingers and look for swelling (may not see any swelling). Press HARD on the first metatarsal head with your thumb starting at the bottom of the foot and moving upward. If it really F*&$ing hurts you have your answer.

Treatment:
    Ice - 4 times per day to start with.

Further treatment will take me too long to touch type here Crying or Very sad Call me.

When I get some time I will post on here some thoughts on what caused this.
    Mick B
    Mick B

Post by Mick B Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks Glenn. Your test was negative. Hopefully it is nothing. I am icing as we speak. Not really knowing the physiology of the foot, I would call it a strain to the tendon running to the big toe, about an inch before the ball joint. There is no tenderness to the touch at all, no matter how hard or where I press. It is not constant at all, and only present since I did some pool recovery running 3 days ago (barefoot jogging in waist deep ocean pool - not a stone bruise though). About an hour afterward I stood up barefooted and felt a jabbing pain in that spot. I have got it a couple of times a day since, usually in the same scenario (first standing on it). I also felt it yesterday on the bike on the downstroke for a while when my shoes straps were loose and my heel was raised from the sole. I tightened the top strap which spread the load away from the ball and it went away. I was worried I had PF but the symptoms don't seem to match up.

I knocked over 15km today with it and could feel it in the first km. I altered my stride to make sure I landed pretty flat footed to spread the load and it seemed to go away. I forgot about it after that and all was fine.

My kms have been in the same region for about 6-8 months. The morning of the day I noticed it I did 18kms at a decent clip for me in pretty old shoes I keep at work as spares. They must have 1400kms on them. Not smart I know and perhaps the root of the problem.

I wont bother you with a call just yet. I'll see how it goes with ice over the next few days. Next big sessions are Tue/Wed next week, so I might kick back a little and do some swimming.
    Glenn C
    Glenn C

Post by Glenn C Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:59 pm

"18kms at a decent clip for me in pretty old shoes I keep at work as spares"

That could likley be your cause there. Especially if you haven't had problems before and your program han't changed. Pain in the big toe tendon can be caused by the wrong (or in your case shoes that were good have degraded with wear. They may now be irrating the tendon at the point where they flex. Do they?

Try not using them for a bit and see if it subsides. Just thoughts mate, not a diagnosis.
    Mick B
    Mick B

Post by Mick B Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:59 pm

Thanks
    Gillian A
    Gillian A

Post by Gillian A Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:11 pm

This week I did just about everything I planned except for riding to brick as it was bucketting and did an 83TT today instead of a 4hr road ride as it was bucketting.
    Alex R
    Alex R

Post by Alex R Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:24 pm

Did two base line sessions, hooked up a local advisor/coach and away we go.

For the numbers

80km bike TT - 2:09
    7.8km run - 36:27

And away we go!
    Dave Tyno
    Dave Tyno

Post by Dave Tyno Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:32 pm

This week my primary goal is 3 swims and at least 40 min a day on the other 4 days.
    Cameron G
    Cameron G

Post by Cameron G Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:52 pm

Cameron G wrote:SWIM
    This week i plan to do alot of swimming. 20 km is the goal, a big step up from previous highest of 12.4 km. I want to break the back of swimming to help in the lead up to IMOZ. almost 18.7 km, 7 sessions over 5 consecutive days

BIKE
    Recover from the 100km TT i did on sunday morning with a few light rides, and a longer ride on friday. Sat and sunday im working damn it. I did a 30 km ride with daughter 5 in the trailer, then a short spinervals session. Lots of rain so not risking a fall.

RUN
    Slowly get back into running after a little injury, with a few short runs and maybe a longer one on Thursday or sat night after work. 1 fast 6 km run at 4:05 pace to test the legs, and then a short brick run after spinervals.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:06 am